Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: When & Why ???

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So just sitting here reading a lot of stuff, and thought it might be interesting to see

1.When you actually started using HTML, CSS, etc...
    2.Why you got into it ( Ie. Class Project, Hobby, Job Change )

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I'll start...

My son was in the 6th grade ( he's now 28), so roughly 16 years ago, had a school project, we downloaded an "HTML" editor, and working with him on his project and playing around with it, I was hooked.

my local ISP had the " 5mb free web space" with their dial up accounts.

within a couple of months, my ISP was telling me I couldn't offer the same services "web design" as them.... on my free web space

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    When my daughter was 4 (she's 22 now) she was in a preschool where once a week they had a program called FutureKids, where the kids got to play spelling and counting games on computers. I had never touched a computer before then, but my sister was moving and offered me her IBM clone 386, with a huge 40MB hard drive and a full 640K of RAM, and a very modern 3.5 inch floppy slot as well as the usual 5.25 inch one, ran DOS 5, but I upgraded to 6 or 6.5 if I remember correctly. I started to play with it and I can't tell you how many times I had to reformat that thing...but pretty soon taught myself how to write batch files so my daughter could launch her programs by typing her name to get a list and then the number of the program on the list (she was 4 years old - couldn't type the full path at the prompt!) I can't tell you how many times I had to reformat that thing...

By the time she was in Grade 2 (1996), the new school she was in had a computer lab with 6 or 7 286's and a broken printer. I asked if I could form a computer committee and was given the go-ahead - there were 4 of us parents and one teacher - we fundraised like mad and upgraded the lab over the course of 2 years to 20 Pentium computers and 2 colour printers, and two of the computers had dial-up access to the internet! That was a big deal back then!

About that time I started playing with Netscape as an editor and developed a program for the 4, 5, and 6 graders called WebMonsters, designed to teach them how to be safe online. They soon started to ask if they could make their own sites, and so we started to figure out HTML (all inline styling and tables...) we hosted on a free site called xoom. I had to run to keep up with them and learned a lot trying to tweak the code Netscape put out. I was conscripted to put together the school's newsletter online, which soon turned into a full-fledged website, and I've been at it in one way or another ever since.

So basically it started with loving to tinker with DOS and grew from there.
    George Dolidze likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    1.When you actually started using HTML, CSS, etc...
    2.Why you got into it ( Ie. Class Project, Hobby, Job Change )
    Quite interesting actually. I started about a year and a half ago. I wanted to take a Java class at my school, because I loved trying to program computers to do my (evil) bidding. But that class filled up, so I got placed into web design. At first, I was bummed, because the description sounded horrible. Something about internet navigation and "netiquette"(ugh). But as I progressed, it became pretty apparent that I was good at it, and soon my teacher was asking me to teach the class from time to time.
    Then I found WDF and got exponentially better Man, this place is awesome.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Remove Ads