Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Since this is a web design forum, I figure I'd give it a shot.

I need to do an interview with an actual web designer for one of my school projects. Though I prefer the interview to be done by email, using instant messengers (Skype, MSN, Yahoo) is fine as well. This project is due on January 3, 2012, so I'm sorry if I seem a bit rushed.

In advance, my teacher might contact you (the interviewee) to make sure that I actually interviewed you and didn't just take the answers from the Internet, so please watch out for that.

While I would like to simply post the questions here and see what I get, sadly, I have too many questions to ask. It won't fit onto this post - or it'd look mighty ugly if it did, haha! So please bear with an email or a conversation on Skype, MSN, etc.

Thanks for helping me out!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Can you at least post a list of the general topics and qualifications of the designer you would care to speak with.

Answers from someone that has been doing This 10 years would be vastly different from someone that is new to the industry.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Yes - A bit more detail about generally what type of questions, and also a bit more about you - what kind of school you are attending, what is the class, why are you in that class (compulsory? elective?) etc.
    I think people will feel more comfortable about giving answers if they know a bit more going in.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Well, I'm a high school student attending a regular high school, haha. (Bit young, I know.)

The class is simply called Communications Technology. It's an elective course. We're basically learning how to create advertisements, film and edit videos, make animations, create website graphics and templates, etc. So I'm looking for someone that does that sort of thing for a living.

I don't have any actual general qualifications that need to be met. All I require is a person who has a job that requires them to do anything of the things listed above (ex: create advertisements, website graphics) that, preferably, works at a company of some sort, whether it's one that they run themselves or one that they actually work at as an employee. If possible, someone with at least a year of experience, and that can show me some of the works that they have done or have collaborated to.

Here's a few examples of the types of questions that would be asked:

1) What types of skills do you need for your job?
    2) Do you need a postsecondary degree?
    3) Do you actually use terms such as "leading" and "kerning"?
    4) What part of the design process are you part of?
    5) What types of health and safety measures do you have to take into consideration with this job?
    6) What type of team environment do you work in?
    7) Does your company consider it's impact on the environment?
    8) What types of legal and ethical standards do you have to follow in this industry?
    9) Give me a rough daily, monthly, and yearly schedule for your job. How often do you meet with your clients per month, year? How many projects do you complete each month, year?

...there's quite a bit more, of course. Altogether, there are around 29 questions.

Does that clear things up a bit? Sorry, it's my first time asking an interview from someone else, so I'm quite not sure what information I should offer...

Member #
    Liked
    205 times

I love how the trend in the web industry is to be "green". The web, by its very nature, is "green". It's completely paperless. Computers make large use of silicon, which is the most abundant element on earth, copper, and plastic, which despite its bad rep re: landfills, is a very green material when used in proper applications (e.g. computers). The only downside of the Internet industry is its power consumption. However, being that computers are completely electrical, the "greenness" of your business is entirely based on how green your local power company is... so it's a silly question.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Exactly. It's a silly question, but it's not a question that I made, haha. My teacher made it, and she's a tad bit eccentric (don't quote me on that), thus the silly question.

I guess different people will go about that question in a different way. You could talk about the general power usage, paper usage, etc. that a company has, or if you turn digital graphics into paper advertisements, you could talk about paper/ink usage... /shrug

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Web and Print are different media.

The question is akin to me asking bicycle manufacturers if they produce low-emission vehicles.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley, post: 227459

I love how the trend in the web industry is to be "green". The web, by its very nature, is "green". It's completely paperless. Computers make large use of silicon, which is the most abundant element on earth, copper, and plastic, which despite its bad rep re: landfills, is a very green material when used in proper applications (e.g. computers). The only downside of the Internet industry is its power consumption. However, being that computers are completely electrical, the "greenness" of your business is entirely based on how green your local power company is... so it's a silly question.
    Not such a silly question - in order to run my business I have an office, and in it I use printer ink, printer paper, envelopes, staples, scotch tape, paper clips, pens, pencils, highlighters, erasers, CDs and DVDs, etc., etc.
    I try to be as green as I can - 100% recycled paper, pens that are almost 100% compostable, I recycle my ink cartridges, paper etc., and I use (and reuse) flash drives instead of CDs or DVDs wherever possible. I use as few cleaning products as possible and those I do use are generally considered "green".
    I think the trend to be "green" goes far beyond our industry, but just as far as my own case goes, I always try to do my best to keep my office consumption and waste to a minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikiibaii, post: 227444
    I need to do an interview with an actual web designer for one of my school projects. Though I prefer the interview to be done by email, using instant messengers (Skype, MSN, Yahoo) is fine as well. This project is due on January 3, 2012, so I'm sorry if I seem a bit rushed.
    Anyway - if you want to send me your survey I'll take a crack at it - go to my profile and use the e-mail you'll find there.
    Ikiibaii likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 227492
    Not such a silly question - in order to run my business I have an office, and in it I use printer ink, printer paper, envelopes, staples, scotch tape, paper clips, pens, pencils, highlighters, erasers, CDs and DVDs, etc., etc.
    And yet Internet companies use significantly less of the above than the average professional services industry, because our work is innately "virtual". We use a fraction of the office supplies that a lawyer or account uses, for example.

That makes us green by nature. Many web offices are completely paperless. Yet the question implies that the Internet industry is somehow more damaging to the environment. Thus, it is silly, in my opinion.

Your examples of how you're "green" are more about a lifestyle choice, and are not pertinent in professional assessment of a web business.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I guess the interpretation of that question really does depend on the person, haha. Either way, thank you AlphaMare, I'll be sending you an email shortly. It'll be titled "Interview Questions", just in case you might mistake it as spam.

Also, to smoseley, it might be two different types of media, but the point is, it's media - and that's what my course focuses on. I decided to focus specifically on web media, but I know a couple of friends that are asking for an interview with people who do print media.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads