Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've recently upgraded my sons gaming computer as a Christmas gift.
    Unfortunately it turned out my old DVD drive had an IDE interface, and the new Sabertooth P67 MB only supports SATA drives. :unsure:
    I have ordered a new BlueRay drive with a SATA interface, and also ordered an internal 120GB SSD.

My main problem is this:
    Prior to ripping the old machine apart, I wanted to wipe clean the two internal HDD (one WD 500GB 7200RPM disk, and one WD Raptor 150GB 10.000RPM disk). To do so, I had to boot the machine from a bootable CD/DVD. On all previous versions of Windows the installation disk itself has been bootable. This doesn't seem to be the case with Windows 7.
    I have three Win7 DVD's (one upgrade version I used to upgrade my laptop from Vista to Win7, one full version of Win7 Home Premium I used to install Windows under Parallels on my iMac, and one full version Win7 Ultimate that powers the machine in question).
    None of these DVD's appear to be bootable!
    If I try to boot from them, the machine responds with "No bootable medium detected, please insert a bootable medium".

I finally solved the problem by downloading an ISO file that would make a bootable CD. The bootable CD contained different tools, among others a tool to format the HDD's.

The new MB allows for boot via an externally connected USB device. I have a 1TB USB disk I use with my MacBook Pro.
    Is it possible to copy all information from the Win7 DVD to that drive and try to boot from it?

If not, I'm still at a loss. When I eventually receive the new BlueRay drive and the new SSD, how do I install Win7 if the DVD's are not bootable?
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    They're bootable.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Official win7 disk are bootable, copies may not be as the bootsectors are not copied on just the copy format.

If they are official win7 disk, and they are not being seen as bootable, I suspect your whatever device is turned off as a bootable device in your bios.

Boot the pc, watch the screen for whatever key you use to get into the bios setup, find the boot options screen, enable whatever device. You may need to change the boot order as well, not usually a problem, but with multiple HD's I do remember running into that issue with an alienware box once. Just move the cd drive to the first bootable device position.

Most newer PC's will boot from most cd/DVD combos with a generic driver to load the os, most will also boot from USB ( if that is turned on in the bios )

Member #
    Hi again

Problem solved.
    For some reason or another the Win7 DVD's refused to boot from my DVD player. They're all original licensed Microsoft disks. I have three of them. One Home Premium Upgrade version (used to upgrade my lap top), one full version Home Premium (runs under Parallels on my iMac) and one full version Win7 Ultimate that powers the big gaming PC.
    The DVD was set up as a bootable device in BIOS. It booted on the before mentioned "boot disk" I initially made from an ISO I downloaded from "www.ultimatebootcd.com". I eventually removed all bootable devices except the DVD player in BIOS to force it to try to boot from the Win7 DVD. It spun the disk around, but reported back "no bootable media detected".

Anyway, since I couldn't use the old DVD player on my new motherboard (no IDE ports on it), I copied all the files over to an 8GB USB stick. The stick was formatted and made bootable through some simple commands in CMD screen.
    The machine booted perfectly from the stick, but when the windows installation itself got going, it froze with the following message "necessary device drivers for CD/DVD drive is missing". That didn't make any sense as no CD/DVD drive was connected to the MB.

Next solution was to use CMD screen from recovery console (loaded from the stick) to create an active partition on the main internal HDD and copy all the installation files over there.
    A reboot of the machine then launched Win7 setup screen, and it installed flawlessly from there.

I'll reinstall Win7 as soon as I receive the 120GB SSD disk I've ordered, and will also install a BlueRay drive with SATA interface.
    So far everything looks great. The setup is:
    -[SIZE=11px]Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-2600K 3,4GHz[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11px]-[/SIZE][SIZE=11px]ASUS Sabertooth P67, Socket-1155 ATX, P67, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX& SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, FW, BT, EFI[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11px]-[/SIZE][SIZE=11px]Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3 modules [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11px]-ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560 PhysX, CUDA[/SIZE]

My son had problems running Battlefield 3 on the old setup. Hopefully that will no longer be a problem.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Corsair FTW

I have a BF3 server and so does Corsair.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I've been using Corsair on my last three hardware updates. They are fast and reliable and have never caused any problems.

I tested Battlefield 3 to see if it would run smoothly now, and it does!
    My wife and sons are visiting family in Israel, so I thought I'd have this up and running before they get back. My son had problems running the game in "Campaign mode" with the old hardware setup. The game would barely run at all, frequently stopping and freezing. For some reason it would run, albeit a little bit choppy, run acceptable in multiplayer mode - but not at all in Campaign mode.

Now it runs fine in Campaign mode (with all settings high) as well.

When I tried it in Campaign mode though, I got frustrated after a while and had to quit.
    After approx two minutes gameplay you climb outside the train cart to escape the planted bomb. When you try to enter the next cart, some guy shoots at you through the window and you nearly drop off, hanging by one hand. The screen tells you to press "space" to climb up the side of the cart, but whatever I did (pressing and holding Space, repeatedly hammering Space, or pressing it multiple times but with a little longer intervals between) I ended up falling off and dying.
    Eventually I gave up :furious:
    S. Rosland

Remove Ads