Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    1. I'm very frustrated. Why do all the websites I make turn out to look like crap? What am I doing wrong!
    I see something like this:
    http://droppaint.com/
    etc...

I can't even get a simple, popular, and highly documented SLIDER to work right?!
    Everything I've ever made looks like total **** compared to that. It pisses me off, especially because I do TRY!!!! Am I just bad and should I give up?! or what?

2. There seems to be a problem:
    I can't make new posts (using Firefox), in the create thread thing (the page I'm on at right now in Chrome) the part where you type in the content does not show up, just a gray line, the title part, etc. show up just fine. Just wanted to let y'all know...

Advice on both of these matters would be interesting, informative, and possible change the way I look at my crap work.
    -shovenose

PS: my new years resolution was to focus on the things that are important to me, and lose the rest. So far I've sold Tech-squad.org, broke up with my girlfriend (this happened before new year lol), and changed the amount of servers in my closet from 4 to 1. So far it's been a little bit of a success, but seriously I think making nice websites is important, and there are tons of paying opportunities around here but... I'm missing them all because my work is crap please advise how to make it better.
    thank you

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    We've advised and you haven't listened. What was the last website, made by you exclusively, that you actually finished? My point it that you never go through with what you start. It always seems to me like you stop halfway. As you said, focus on one thing and keep pounding away at that keyboard until it is just the way you want it.
    Ronald Roe and AlphaMare like this.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 228608
    1. I'm very frustrated. Why do all the websites I make turn out to look like crap? What am I doing wrong!
    I see something like this:
    http://droppaint.com/
    etc...
    Well, don't be too envious - that site is designed in tables...
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 228608
    PS: my new years resolution was to focus on the things that are important to me, and lose the rest. So far I've sold Tech-squad.org, broke up with my girlfriend (this happened before new year lol), and changed the amount of servers in my closet from 4 to 1. So far it's been a little bit of a success, but seriously I think making nice websites is important, and there are tons of paying opportunities around here but... I'm missing them all because my work is crap please advise how to make it better.
    thank you
    Good that you're deciding to focus - take some time to decide WHAT to focus on.

Start a site, think it through, finish it.

Make yourself an outline:
    • What is the purpose of the site? (sell something, give information, offer advice...)
    • What functionality will it need to accomplish that purpose? (forms, search, text, maps, blog...)
    • What is the page structure going to be (Home, About, Portfolio, Services, Contact...)
    • What, based on the above, will be the coding languages you will need (HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, javascript...)
    • What, based on the above, will each page's layout be ( header, footer, fullwidth, columns, sidebar...)?
    • What, based on the above, will your colour scheme be? (corporate, bright, monochrome, vivid...)
    • What have you forgotten to add to this list?

NOW start to work on the site itself. Check off the items as you get them done.
    You're much more likely to create a good-looking site this way, and to actually get it finished, as well.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I'd like to expand on a couple of Mare's points:
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 228646
    Well, don't be too envious - that site is designed in tables...
    It also looks like it's a template, the illustration is clip art that I'm sure I've seen on more than 1 other site, and the color scheme is a little boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 228646
    Start a site, think it through, finish it.

Make yourself an outline:
    • What is the purpose of the site? (sell something, give information, offer advice...)
    • What functionality will it need to accomplish that purpose? (forms, search, text, maps, blog...)
    • What is the page structure going to be (Home, About, Portfolio, Services, Contact...)
    • What, based on the above, will be the coding languages you will need (HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, javascript...)
    • What, based on the above, will each page's layout be ( header, footer, fullwidth, columns, sidebar...)?
    • What, based on the above, will your colour scheme be? (corporate, bright, monochrome, vivid...)
    • What have you forgotten to add to this list?

NOW start to work on the site itself. Check off the items as you get them done.
    By the time you've made it through the checklist Mare wrote, you should have a pretty good idea of what the code will look like as well. I would suggest that on the next website you do, take the time structure your code in a way that works for you, as well as semantics. Come up with a set of conventions that make sense to you that you will use for each site you do in the future. You can deviate as necessary, but the general organization should be in the same vain. This will help you visualize how the code will be laid out, and you will run in to fewer coding issues and save yourself a lot of time. Not to mention, if your code is laid out the same every time, you'll find it is much easier to troubleshoot when problems do arise.

For me personally, I make it a point to minimize the amount of HTML as much as I can and rely on CSS as much as possible. I also organize my CSS based on the section of the site, and I alphabetize the styles. It works for me and makes everything way easier to work with.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Thank you for the advice guys
    Much appreciated, maybe I can actually see something all the way through

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Not getting paid has always been the cause for lack of motivation on my end. Being around negative people, drinking too much coffee, or not enough and a lack of sex will destroy the creative juices. The comfort of a woman will work wonders for you...
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanExcell, post: 230789
    Not getting paid has always been the cause for lack of motivation on my end. Being around negative people, drinking too much coffee, or not enough and a lack of sex will destroy the creative juices. The comfort of a woman will work wonders for you...
    Coffee makes me hyper productive.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanExcell, post: 230789
    or not enough and a lack of sex will destroy the creative juices. The comfort of a woman will work wonders for you...
    I'm 16, so this may not apply :P

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    I had a girlfriend when I was 16...
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanExcell, post: 231518
    I had a girlfriend when I was 16...
    Me too. up until a few months ago

Remove Ads