Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Can i register a domain name with the word "apple" in it and use the site as a charity site to raise funds for abused Chinese workers and mention that many of these workers build Apple products?

Or will I get sued to death within a nanosecond of launching?

Kind of already know but want to make sure. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You can register and use the name, but you cant mention the name of the company specifically. You can expect a bunch of flack ( you probably already knew this ),

But you could just mention Foxconn, since the are actually who the workers you're talking about work for. Apple has only a handful of employees in china, but all thier products are contracted out to foxconn. Truth is, every person that works for them is rotated between product lines and assemblies so in fact, most every one of thier thousands of workers have assembled or will assemble products for every manufacturer they build for, including Samsung, panasonic, Verizon, etc...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Check with a lawyer. I'm not saying that to be trite...I'm saying that because, as Webzarus pointed out, you're opening up a whole big can of worms.

You can actually legally register a domain based on a trademark for the purposes of criticism (e.g. godaddysucks.com), and if it's a charity site then you can probably get away with it as well. You're talking a huge grey area, though, and a company that isn't exactly known for its human side.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Second reference to www.godaddysucks.com in the past week, I guess the owners of the site were not so against godaddy ... I heard from a friend of a friend that should know the answer... So take it for what it worth.. The owner sold it to the for 5K.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Wow, I guess i should pay more attention to that. heh I knew it was a complaint site but hadn't visited it in a while.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/ <-- that one does exist.
    duck444 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 229988
    Second reference to www.godaddysucks.com in the past week, I guess the owners of the site were not so against godaddy ... I heard from a friend of a friend that should know the answer... So take it for what it worth.. The owner sold it to the for 5K.
    Sold it to godaddy?!!!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Just thought of another example, from the land of tinfoil hats:

http://www.google-watch.org/

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The content on that site is so hilariously skewed that I don't think google even would bother thinking about doing anything about them. I bet they don't block google spiders from indexing their pages...

Just a fine example of.. Give me enough rope ..

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The guy actually does.

I love that freakin' site, though. It's great for conspiracy theories and ridiculous left-field crap. The guy who owns it, from what i can remember, is a legit whack job as well. I've seen him post a few places over the years.

Remove Ads