Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Take Google's new Privacy Policy which permits it to give ALL the data you have put into its database at EVERY Google service you use (every search, every Gmail, etc.).

Now take our government which increasingly curtails our privacy and probes into our lives and homes (even our bodies at airports), all in the name of "security."

Add the two and what do you get?

Stop Google's attempt to sneak its new Privacy Policy past us. Sign the petition at...

http://www.change.org/petitions/google-ask-fairly-about-our-privacy
    It's asking for something that any company with integrity would agree to...

INFORM FULLY and ASK FAIRLY.

Then share the petition, telling YOUR friends about the disastrous intersection of these two growing trends.

I know that you're apathetic about this, thinking that "it can't happen here." IT ALREADY DOES HAPPEN HERE, thousands of times per quarter and growing.

I'm not some privacy kook, never gave it much thought. But this is REAL.

That's why I signed the petition. It's also why I'm telling you all about it and asking you to do the same

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So exactly HOW is google SNEAKING it's new privacy policy out to users ?

Please explain... And no I didn't read the posted link ( oh yeah it's a shortened URL ) to disguise where it's actually going to.

I've actually been following this story since google started "INFORMING" people of the proposed changes 6 months ago, and now recently when they actually updated their policy...

Still, please explain how google is trying to sneak it by....

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    That organization is very well know for jumping on any controversial topic that will generate them some traffic...

Funny how they are going after google for changing their policy, yet they have never uttered a word against the biggest offender of privacy on the Internet ( facebook ). They make money themselves by selling their email list ( did you have to provide them an email address to sign the petition ? )...

Funny how that works... Petition against privacy concerns... Betcha they didn't tell you they were selling your email address to fund their efforts.

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Yes, that link goes to Sitesells Facebook page.

I have never known them to sell email addresses. Where did you get that information?

Google is sneaking this new change to their privacy policy past the vast majority of users - they do not read these changes. That is the majority of users. Most people never read that stuff. If you log-in to any Google service after March 1st, you have agreed to this change even if you are not aware of it.

Google is not giving this a lot of time, they want it done before the media gets hold of it.

Were you also aware that you have given Google the right to use your content in any way they want?

Yes, Facebook is the greatest offender in stealing our privacy, but that has been well covered by the press.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    And, it's Google's fault that you don't read their privacy policies? What more can they do than post it repeatedly and annoyingly on every single one of their sites for months? Sites that you use for no cost whatsoever? Look, I'm not El Goog's biggest fan. I honestly don't like some of the places they send money, but I choose to use their services because they're superior to many paid competitors, let alone free ones. If you don't like their privacy policies, there's always Yahoo or Bing.
    DanExcell likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Well, apparently, I am the only one here that is concerned, so I guess there was no point in starting this thread.

By the way Ronald, I don't believe Google has posted about this change anywhere near that long. And as I said, most people ignore those policy change notices anyway.

And I am not happy with the search results Google delivers when I am searching for information (nothing to do with my own rankings). I get better results from Bing in most cases these days.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Although I hardly ever cite Wikipedia for anything... Since change.org mission is to bring about "social change " ... But they don't share much about who they are... Wikipedia is the source saying they sell there email list...

IF THE USER CHOOSES NOT TO READ.... How the F.... Can that be Google "sneaking it by the users"...

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE explain how that is sneaking ????

That is the users IGNORANCE... If they choose not to read it...

In comparison... I count no less than 1,000 articles on google changing their privacy policy " before they actually do it", O articles about FACEBOOK changing theirs BEFORE they changed it...

So who's SNEAKING their changes in ???? WHO ???

BTW... change.org ( who is behind this SPAM email ), has many faces, but they wouldn't sneak that in on you would they ?

In all honesty, this has nothing to do about privacy, or GOOGLE.. Or even FACEBOOK...

The only reason I responded to this silly thread in the beginning is to try and make a point....

When I see someone posting spam emails on forums.... I have to jump in and post FACTS, that the email intentionally left out. They target individuals with the premise that they are doing good... When in fact they have 1 goal... Get you to give them your email address to take part in some cleverly crafted and carefully worded petition.

The "tiny URL" service they use is specifically designed to send the user to 1 of 10 sites, yes, why ? Because change.org sites have been blocked from almost every corporate firewall... So the redirector service checks to see what is available to the user and redirects them to a site that has not been blocked yet....

So for posting this redirector link... I was able to click on it from one of my clients locations... And add 4 more sites to its block list ( it allows 1 visit to each site before it blocks it ).

My clients and I thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The link didn't go to Facebook, but change.org and as such I've updated the link.

Regarding Google "sneaking changes", yeah, that's not what's happening. There's been coverage in the news, and every Google app I sign onto (even mobile IIRC) has been popping up notices for a couple of weeks now.

If you don't like their policy (assuming it does go live on the March 1st), don't use their products.

webzarus: Can't say I've ever heard of anyone blocking change.org on the corporate level, but to each their own.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    @wired - wasnt intentional - untangle added it to their spam list about 6 months ago, for the users that want them to auto add suspicious sites.

After responding to this thread... Got me thinking as I had just read the article about spammers hacking the URL shortening servers... Monitoring traffic ... Modifying the DB links to redirect to their sites... As well as using some simple scripts that load in most peoples browsers... Then check to see if the site is accessible to the client browser...

Turned on my monitor and netstat -- clicked the link and watched what happened.. One reason why I never use or click on the shortened URL posted in many feeds.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I only open shortened links in incognito mode in Chrome.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads