Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    A friend and I have an idea for a social networking site. We're not "techies" but we have a very good idea. We're trying to figure out exactly what type of team we would have to assemble to make this kind of website a reality. ie. Do we need web designers, web architects, web developers, web programers, web masters or all of the above? Or some combination thereof? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    All of the above... You'll be hard pressed to find one person with all the qualities needed to take a project of that kind from concept to completion...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    And if I had a nickel for every great idea for a new website... I wouldn't be answering questions here... I'd be sitting .... Never mind ...

Member #
    Hey, thanks for the feedback. OK so if Pinterest could get started with just two people initially, why can't you or I? If you had an idea and a very small budget, who would you get to be on your team initially?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    You can definitely start with 1 or 2 people and then grow as the need arises.

If you have a big idea then surely you need more than 2 people unless you just wanna create a good concept, display it and then sell it off.

Best of luck !

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Depends on your definition of small... Check out Craigslist ... You will find thousands of "great ideas", wanting someone to develop them as the people that had them weren't "techies "...

They normally say something like for a % of the end business ... 0% of 0 = 0... Which means someone with a lot of skill ends up working for nothing...

If you're serious about what your idea is, and 100% sure it's going to work.. Use another old school method... Borrow money from friends and family... Sell stuff... And pay the guy or gal doing the work... This will accomplish several things. 1. You're able to actually hire someone with the skills needed as opposed to having to settle for someone that might know a little more than you. 2. Show this person you're willing to have something other than a thought invested in the project ( this actually means more to #1 than just the money. 3. You have talked out the plan with multiple people that might just have some good ideas too. 4. You won't want to let friends and family down so maybe when things get a little tough... You'll keep going, since you'll feel the need to pay them back.

Offering a piece of the pie is nice... But again... If I had a nickel for every great idea that was tonna b the next Facebook... Google... Etc... But "we have no money so you'll be given a % of the business once it's up and running "....

Perhaps do what other businesses do early on.. Pay their people while the management and concept people get nothing until the site is making money...

Just a thought...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 233532
    Depends on your definition of small... Check out Craigslist ... You will find thousands of "great ideas", wanting someone to develop them as the people that had them weren't "techies "...

They normally say something like for a % of the end business ... 0% of 0 = 0... Which means someone with a lot of skill ends up working for nothing...

If you're serious about what your idea is, and 100% sure it's going to work.. Use another old school method... Borrow money from friends and family... Sell stuff... And pay the guy or gal doing the work... This will accomplish several things. 1. You're able to actually hire someone with the skills needed as opposed to having to settle for someone that might know a little more than you. 2. Show this person you're willing to have something other than a thought invested in the project ( this actually means more to #1 than just the money. 3. You have talked out the plan with multiple people that might just have some good ideas too. 4. You won't want to let friends and family down so maybe when things get a little tough... You'll keep going, since you'll feel the need to pay them back.

Offering a piece of the pie is nice... But again... If I had a nickel for every great idea that was tonna b the next Facebook... Google... Etc... But "we have no money so you'll be given a % of the business once it's up and running "....

Perhaps do what other businesses do early on.. Pay their people while the management and concept people get nothing until the site is making money...

Just a thought...
    I am totally the Creative guy where do I fit in? I have seriously been having different ideas pouring out of my ears lately, it is literally starting to make me sick. Facebook type start ups have almost been coming to me monthly jumbled in with all of the more feasible business. But I am here at wdf so I must be getting Close.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It is always good to know if your idea will work or not. Of course it is always a sort of catch22 trying to keep ideas private and getting help for them at the same time. That is why the more Ideas you can come up with, the greater ability you can have in determining weather an idea even is feasible.

The Ideas that work the best, are usually the ones that are based on a simple concept, and have the ability to touch and influence everone and everywhere. Sure this seems obvious but some of the most obvious things in the world can be the most difficult ones to see.

Before you start any type of new concept, one thing that is absolutely crucial is to achieve the best quality product in the industry and a damn good brand name from the beginning. If you 'really' have something that hasn't been done,it becomes a lot easier to name and brand it as the Best to start off with.

Also it is good to try and think about competing with companies like apple, google and facebook, Though it might seem impossible, it is the type of mindset your company will need to keep its edge and the reality is that there are some big holes being left open by these companies. That and the internet is still just getting warmed up!
    A good quote that has helped me tell which spectrum of an "Big Idea" I am on is,
    "Feed the Classes, Eat with the Masses; Feed the Masses, Eat with the Classes"

A good example of this is "Apple".
    Apple Brand, reflects the quotation above well I believe.

Apples are for the people.
    They help you to be more Healthy,
    Apples have a distinct connection the Earth and Humans.
    That Being said do I own an Apple Computer, not right now, but in the future, probably.

Branding is actually much more important than people would like to believe, but only when coupled with a realistic vision of the future.

Remove Ads