Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Java Books

CPD
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    There's no particular thread for this so I thought I'd post it here.

I understand this is a forum primarily aimed towards web design but as we all know, Java comes into web design quite often and is related to the open source family of languages.

Could anybody recommend some reading material to take an individual from beginner (not that I'm a beginner but I think it would be beneficial for the entire community) to advanced in the Java language be it in one book or over a range of books?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Just to clarify, you're talking about Sun's Java, the server-side programming language, right?

I haven't used Java in years, so I can't recommend anything for you... just want to clarify that.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm wondering if he means JavaSCRIPT. Javascript is much easier to make recommendations for than Java.

I used Java for a project briefly from December - March. Wouldn't touch it again with a 50-foot pole if I didn't have to.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

CPD
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I'm not referring to JavaScript; definitely referring to Java :P. It can be used for more then server-side programming as well.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You're probably going to have a tough time. There are about 5 or 6 of us in here that might have your answer based on programming knowledge and experience. Two of us are now out of the picture. Not sure what to suggest.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Yeah, there aren't a lot of Java devs here. I think I'm the only one who really used it intensively. But that was 7+ years ago. It's changed a lot since then, with Hibernate, Spring, Struts, and God knows what else. I wouldn't even know where to begin. And there's no one book that will cover it all well.

If you just want to get a sense of how the core language works, I'm sure there are plenty of good books out there. Go on Amazon and pick the one with the most good reviews.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You know what's messed up, Moseley? Neither one of us has any idea what to tell this guy. How often does that happen?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    LOL, very true.

CPD
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Haha. How funny. Hey, its a "Web Design Forum" and you can't exactly call Java a web design language so I wasn't expecting you guys to know everything.

I can write Java Apps no problem. I just wanted to advance myself a little further, push my boundaries with concepts like threading which as of the minute serve no real purpose to what I've built previously.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Well, at least you didn't have high hopes.

Seriously, I actually do wish we could help, but my only Java experience is via the SmartClient framework (never, EVER again!) and Steven's laid out his.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads