Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey everyone,
    Just signed up. I have over 10 years exp. in graphic design and have only about a few years in web design. I used to use table but now am trying to teach myself CSS, etc. I have used Dreamweaver/Fireworks/Flash and other Creative Suite apps for web.

I have a great start understanding of the "artistic side" and principles but I have never had a "corporate" job in web... Self taught...

Can anyone steer me in the right direction as far as languages, software, etc. to help me? More importanly what do i need to know to become better? I understand the basic principles behing js, jquery, xml, etc. but have only used written code. What is the most important things to learn to find work?

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Your post is confusing with the subject being "Many Interviews no job" but no reference to your subject title. :unsure: Besides that I will let TheGame answer your question.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx, post: 236121
    Your post is confusing with the subject being "Many Interviews no job" but no reference to your subject title. :unsure: Besides that I will let TheGame answer your question.
    Sorry to be confusing. I am trying to get a job in web design and am looking for advice on what to learn.

I maybe have been interviewing for jobs that I might not be suited for. I have created sites in flash and tables. I few from CSS templates but I have a good grasp on CSS and it's capabilities. What are the latest and greatest things that are most important to create more "professional" sites?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    There's no "latest and greatest". It's whatever you can do with the tools you have. HTML + CSS + javascript + a dynamic language + a database = every site imaginable.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Like wired said... No latest and greatest... And buzzwords don't help if you don't have a portfolio to show your skills...

I've hired or been consulted on hiring 40+ designers or design related positions over the past 2 years...

Those WITHOUT a portfolio don't even get an interview... Period.

Even if you have only done 1 site that you can prove that YOU did ... You should have a portfolio... I have had several that even though they have not created a "site" for a paying customer... They created many different types of "mock-up" sites for their portfolio to show their skill level and understanding of the technologies that are currently used in web design.

If I had a "developer" apply for a position... I would expect at the very least... A couple of web based applications that integrate some sort of server side scripting language, using a database, and some sort of user authentication...

Graphics design is such a "generic term" these days... I have one client that hired a person with a degree in graphics design... But have yet to see anything done outside PowerPoint... And graphically ... Pretty poor.

Most everyone I have ever known that wanted to get into this industry, spent a lot of THEIR free time learning and teaching themselves... Nothing keeping you from building out any number of mock up sites for use in interviews.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx, post: 236121
    Why me? What the hell do I know? :P

Seriously, it's all about what Wired and Webzarus said and I really don't have much to add. Your thinking is ***-backwards on the subject, through no fault of your own (it's how we were all "taught" to get jobs...it just doesn't make any sense, that's all).

It's not about "what you know"...anyone can claim to know HTML/CSS, and most "do" to some extent. It's how you apply it and how you can demonstrate that you used the tools to accomplish goals. People want to hear about how you can help them, not how big or small your brain is.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads