Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Staffing agencies and companies will test a new hire's web development and office administrative skills. What are the best ways to prepare?

Can anyone recommend testing sites where you can brush up on web topics or practice exercises that you haven't learned in a while? I've been to W3CSchools during college, so that was my first choice.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The best way is the only way..."know your stuff". People will fire any question about anything to you at any time throughout an interview process. A good employer won't expect you to know everything their is to know about design/development...there's just too much out there. No one can. The only thing you can do is make sure your game is as tight as possible.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What he said....

I would be wary of anyone wanting to test you for both web skills and office admin skills and that would lead me to believe they ( the staffing companies )... Are looking to fill "one size fits all" positions ... Which are generally very low paying for someone to do everything they need.

You should focus on one or the other... But only apply for what you are knowledgeable about.

I have interviewed, hired or help hire numerous peoria over the past several years, have a resume, have a portfolio that shows your skills in web design ( even if they are mock sites )... And don't embellish on your skills... I've ended numerous interviews when people were obviously BS'ing me.

I would personally prefer to hire someone that answers a question ..." I haven't actually had an opportunity to do that, but would love to spend some time learning if that's in the job"...

I never have an expectations of someone knowing everything... It doesn't exist... But if you put it on your resume that you know something, you should know it.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    "Peoria"? You typing on your iPhone again, buddy?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    CRAP... Yeah... When I'm on a PC, I rarely have time to visit the forums... Guess I gotta watch more closely..

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 238614
    I would personally prefer to hire someone that answers a question ..." I haven't actually had an opportunity to do that, but would love to spend some time learning if that's in the job"...
    I haven't landed a job with WZ specifically (mostly because I haven't got the slightest idea where he lives, where he works or what he does, but also because he's never posted a job opportunity that I've seen)...but I can attest to this working. I landed a rather large client despite not knowing a single thing about the framework I was to use or Linux servers or cPanel or several other things. Why did I land it? Because I talked about what I did know, indicated that I'd be willing to learn it, and the guy hired me.

What happened? I learned the framework better than 12 engineers in four countries. I learned a little about Linux servers (I'm still not even remotely comfortable with them, but I can hack my way through). I learned about cPanel. And now when someone asks me if I have experience in those three things, I can answer "yes" and explain my experience. I'm also still working with the guy.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Remove Ads