Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello everyone,

I have paid a web designer to make a website for me, but it has lots of problems; for example the links are not working properly and I don't want to pay for a designer any more.
    I have some knowledge on html which is the language used to design our website; but unfortunately I don't know how to access the codes to edit them!
    Could you please give me some hint on that?

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Usually, you would access them through FTP. Filezilla is a good choice for that.
    Parsa likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You should have received a email or something with connection information from your hosting provider.

It will have your connection information for FTP access or perhaps the host has a control panel that allows for access to your files from there.

Member #
    Thanks Ronald & Webzarus, I found the files.

Just a couple of more questions.
    The menu bar is broken. Should I download each page, edit it and upload it back?
    Also do you know how can I update my news & events page? What is the common way to do it?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It all depends on how it's coded.

If they are HTML files, they yeah, you should probably just download all the files on the site...

Edit locally on your machine, then when down editing, upload them to the server.

You may want to consider installing a web server on you local machine for testing, but if they are only HTML files ( no php or scripting languages ), you probably don't need a test server.

Remove Ads