Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I just checked out http://www.sxc.hu/ , All there images are free and leagal!
    The legalality VVVV
    http://www.sxc.hu/help/7_2

tell me if you see anything that seems not right or fishy!
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    There are 3 statements that need to be read.

1. All images are copyrighted
    2. You must ask permission from photographers
    3. Thy can of he held responsible for copyright violation issues.

You cannot copyright what doesn't belong to you, if you hold copyright, and you are giving permission, no one else need be asked. They are openly admitting they don't have permission to be publishing any photos on their site or the last statement wouldn't be there.

I personally wouldn't bother as sites that are not based in the US generally don't adhere to us copyright laws, much less understand them. If you use any images from this site, you take a chance in legal issues from the original publishers.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's a difference between copyright and right to use the image, and image usage rights on sxc.hu are specific to the image you want to use. Sometimes they're free to use, sometimes they require attribution, sometimes they're free for non-commercial usage only, and I think a few on there are just there to be looked at. Like they say on the site, though, contact the photographer first if you're not sure (although it's usually pretty straightforward).

I've used sxc.hu images without issue before, but VERY few and VERY far between. The problem with using a stock image is quite simple...it's not yours, and it's not original work. You're better off publishing an okay, real, original photo than you are publishing an "attractive", stock, unoriginal one.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I have used many stocks from SXC and never had any issues. I have even contacted some artist's for permission to use certain stocks and all was good. I always recommend SXC.

Remove Ads