Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: World Traveler

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    I was walking down the hall today in the office. When I walked past our 13 year old daughter's office I heard her talking to someone on the phone. I heard her say, why yes I've seen a lot of the world. Knowing this one particular daughter and her humor I stopped to hear this conversation.

I had an idea she was setting someone up so I started laughing and wondered who the fall guy was. She had her speaker phone on and I could hear the other party. She would answer, yes I've been there also. Yes I was in that country a few weeks ago. Well, I've got plans to go to that country tonight maybe. This went on for a few more minutes.

This person asked her how could she afford to travel to so many countries at her age, you must have very wealthy parents.

She said, well, it's really a piece of cake for me and I do love to travel. She said, I travel the world frequently on Google Earth.

That brought the roof down with laughter from all the offices that had tapped into her phone to hear this conversation. All our lines were busy and she had taken this call on her line. It was a travel agency scam and she had enough sense to realize that when she took the call.

When she said Goggle Earth she got a dial tone from the other party.
    Sure made our day.
    AlphaMare and George Dolidze like this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Nice story. It's nice that your daughter is conscience to the world around her lol.. My oldest son who is 12 is the same way.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Your 13 year old daughter has an office? Lucky cookie.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx, post: 240209
    Nice story. It's nice that your daughter is conscience to the world around her lol.. My oldest son who is 12 is the same way.
    This is good for him. Smart kid!

When we start our kids working in the office with us they go through a spam, scam, spoofers and phisers sit down with us. We show them screen shots of how the emails look and then we let them listen to recordings of scam calls we've received over the years.

We call it their heads up! training.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by George Dolidze, post: 240214
    Your 13 year old daughter has an office? Lucky cookie.
    Our office is a a restored large barn on our farm. What used to be the hay loft in the barn is now our conference rooms and where we have a few offices for our kids when they start their training in our business, if they choose to do so.

It gives them privacy from us and let's them have their own space. Whew!
    They can meet together in one of the conference rooms and discuss their projects with each other and learn from the others experiences.
    As part of their training they'll not only have individual business projects but they'll have a project together. This is where they learn team work. One of us will meet with them to discuss their project or projects a couple times a week or anytime they think they have a need for us to. Most of their projects are also in relationship to other projects we have going on in our business and they have to also work with us on a daily basis.

Up there now are two 13 years old girls, two 16 year old twin girls, and one 17 year old girl.

The lasting future of any business is to keep young minds starting and training them to be the future leaders in the business. If a company doesn't do that it will most likely either fail one day or close when it's time for retirement or health issues and there is no one else to keep the business going.

Out family business is 66 years old this year so we must be doing something right occasionally.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Wow, sounds amazing! What's the business, if I may ask?
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by George Dolidze, post: 240262
    Wow, sounds amazing! What's the business, if I may ask?
    Agreed! I'm quite interested, it's amazing how well this is working out for you. I wish my mother (while she loves me and cares about me) would have done something like that!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Sounds a bit like KidCo.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    We're actually a diversified consulting business. Meaning, we do specialized solutions to help businesses manage their businesses.

We also own an architectural millwork shop that was the beginning of our family business. It's now managed by our two oldest daughters, both with architectural engineering degrees. My husband is an architect and spends most of his time in the shop with the girls.Their main offices are here in the barn with us. The shop is about a 10 minute walk from here.

Our kids work in both places, the shop and the barn, and they're the first to hold their hands out for a paycheck. If you own a business, start your kids when they're young working with you, teach and give them some responsibilities and let them know the future of your business is a lot of ways in their hands. Make it fun for them and pay them. As they get more experienced in your business ask them for their opinion on some of the decision making. You may be surprised what they can produce for you.
    It's worked for us over the years.
    George Dolidze likes this.
    Bleau

Remove Ads