Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Hello,
    I am fairly new to this and am in need of some help. I have created a website for my company using HTML code. I am trying to figure out how to create an employees only section which would require using a username and password to access but I can't seem to figure out how. We have the ability to create password protected directories from the control panel of our web host but I am not sure how the employees would access this if I set it up there. If that would not work I would like to create a web page that requires username and password to access. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Steven

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    When you say web host, are you using a shared hosting platform ? Somewhere out in the wild, where you do not have physical access to ther server ?

If you can setup folder access on that in your control panel, if someone tries to access those folders, they should be prompted for username and password.

This is actually the ideal situation, only problem with it is most hosting providers limit the number of accounts you can setup. Without access directly to the security DB on the server, that means anytime you need to create, remove or change a password, someone will need to login to the control panel. Again, the main limit to this scenario is the umber of user accounts you can use.

Just dump the files into the protected directory... Just like your other HTML files, when a user tries to access that section, they will be prompted for login, if successful, they will see the page.

A different option, requires you to learn a little php, create a small MySQL DB to keep usernames and passwords, and some php to embed on each of your pages to verify users access level.

A little more complicated, but much easier in maintenance.

There are many php or asp ( you didn't say what server platform you're using ), portal scripts out there are are pretty simple to setup and manage just for this as well.

Another question would be... Where would the users be accessing the "portal" from and what kind of information are you planning on putting up there ?

Those questions are really more important than anything else. Obviously, if your site is "in the wild", you won't want to put "employee personal" information or anything to do with finances.

But if employees are only accessing from the company's local network, there's no reason to even put anything "in the wild".

Remove Ads