Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    I recently went for a visit with my family and friends in Russia. It was an uneventful trip on the 11 hour red eye from Atlanta to Moscow. I slipped some powerful sleeping pills in drinks to hubby and all 5 daughters so I and all the passengers wouldn't have to listen to their mouthy mouths for 11 hours.

We're fortunate to have an apartment in Moscow, the one I left behind when I married and relocated here. Our apartment is located on Novyy Arbat Street, about a 15 minute walk from Red Square and all the very expensive shopping malls. Novyy Arbat is a wide street with the center lane for all the Kremlin thugs so they can look important going to and from work with their blue lights flashing.

When we got to our apartment our butts were worn out from the red eye and all I could hear was...we're hungry. The girls like to eat at the McDonalds near to the Kremlin so off we go out the door from the apartment building and down some steps to the wide sidewalk and turned left and started walking.

Street vendors all along this side walk. I heard our 13 year old say WOW look at this! There was a street vendor with anything Adobe, Autodesk and just about any other expensive software available. We stopped to look and it was $5.00 US for any of it. No doubt, pirated software. He didn't have a Rubles sign only a US dollar sign.
    I started talking to the guy and found out he use to be a cop but could make more money being a street vendor.

The next night we rode the 13.5 hour overnight train to my city, our twins and our 13 year old city of Stary Oskol.
    My parents met us at the train station to drive us to their apartment, WOW mum we want to walk on the streets!
    We needed to do some grocery shopping to feed all of our brood so off we go.

Low and behold there it was again on the street in Stary Oskol...$5.00 US for any software.

So, if you want to get a steal on software you can travel 6000 miles to get it. Just don't call me when you get busted trying to leave the country with it or enter back into the US with it. I understand that could be a lot of jail time.

Have a blessed and safe holiday everyone.

Carrie
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    That scam goes on in every corner of the world

Anywhere there are an abundance of travelers, I can give you some of the same software, the registration key you get with theirs is useless.

I some countries you can actually get busted for knowingly buying pirated software, even though it's useless, some have agreements with local police or guys posing as local police, they tell you it's pirated, you buy it, you get busted but they will let you go out of the kindness of their hearts for say $1000 US.

I've seen this scam in venuzela, Rio, Madrid, New Delhi pretty much every where I've been.

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    I've never been to all those places you speak of webzarus and really have no desire to but I do understand what you're saying. I had noticed this on previous trips back to visit my family and friends but never paid any attention to it. I probably wouldn't have on this past trip if our daughter hadn't of said wow and I turned around to see what it was all about.

I have always seen a lot of it in the underground street passage ways in Moscow that have a lot of small shops in them, but there again I never paid any attention to it. It would never cross my mind to buy any of it.

Russia is one of the email spam & scam capitals of the world by a small group of thugs. For the most part the majority of the people are a good people and wouldn't even think about doing anything like that.

I'm not smart enough to get a scam going.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I made up an awesome quote this morning, I think it applies: "Just because you're smart enough to do something doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do".

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    That's a pretty sad commentary, that running a scam is somehow smart or equates to some level of intelligence.

All scams are predicated on he simple fact that there are lots of people looking for a deal, or a shortcut, or easy money. And they hook people that have less than decent ethical values.

Some people think its ok to rip off these software companies because they make billions of dollars off their products and would never miss yours. Problem is, because piracy is so prevalent, software companies have had to invest millions to protect their programs and that is passed on to the people that buy it legally.

I'm all about a deal myself, but I draw the line at stealing anything, and by running pirated software, you are stealing. Not to mention, if you're running pirated software, you are opening up your computers and or networks to whatever software these people may have embedded into your cheap software.

I had a client once that was having extremely slow network responses, on some scans I noticed that 30 of their 40+ pcs were talking to a subnet in china. Digging in a little deeper, I realized that all these machines were part of a bot net group.

When all was said and done, it was traced back to a copy of adobe that someone had brought in and installed on their pc. A friend of a friend had made this person a copy of their "free full version" of adobe cs5.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 240949
    That's a pretty sad commentary, that running a scam is somehow smart or equates to some level of intelligence.

All scams are predicated on he simple fact that there are lots of people looking for a deal, or a shortcut, or easy money. And they hook people that have less than decent ethical values.

Some people think its ok to rip off these software companies because they make billions of dollars off their products and would never miss yours. Problem is, because piracy is so prevalent, software companies have had to invest millions to protect their programs and that is passed on to the people that buy it legally.

I'm all about a deal myself, but I draw the line at stealing anything, and by running pirated software, you are stealing. Not to mention, if you're running pirated software, you are opening up your computers and or networks to whatever software these people may have embedded into your cheap software.

I had a client once that was having extremely slow network responses, on some scans I noticed that 30 of their 40+ pcs were talking to a subnet in china. Digging in a little deeper, I realized that all these machines were part of a bot net group.

When all was said and done, it was traced back to a copy of adobe that someone had brought in and installed on their pc. A friend of a friend had made this person a copy of their "free full version" of adobe cs5.
    I meant it the other way around. I meant that just because somebody can figure out how to scam people doesn't mean that it's a good thing to do!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It's all about context .... Doesn't really matter what was meant... And if you have explain it.

Remove Ads