Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: WDF Suggestion

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The owners should really think about putting the hidden text area on all form submissions... Just use CSS display:none ....

Never shows up in a real browser, spam bots fall for it every time... ( they are all programmed to put something in all form fields they come across )... I've reduced spam by 99% on every site I handle...

Simple logic too... If anything is submitted in the text area... Block the posting, ban the ip address.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    WZ: I'm reporting that post just so veraderock (the guy who does the programming) sees it. If you see a notification about it being reported, it's not flagged for spam or anything...I'm just trying to draw attention to it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It's all good... I ran across that little jewel about 6-8 months ago, started testing it and something so simple, never made my life easier.

I was running all kinds of scripts and DB connections to try and catch and block them. I was at about 60% only because I had to let them post one time to catch them.

Wish I could remember where I read it, ( not my idea ), but when I read it first, I was like, it can't be that simple can it ?

Since many of my clients get lots of responses daily, I had to test and verify... I just added some extra text area fields to my forms, his them with CSS, and CC'd me a copy of all enquiries showing what was being submitted. It was just a short time before I realized that when I dump that into a DB, I can also set 2 flags. 1 identifying it as a spam posting ( which only I can see), and add their ip address to my blocking table.

Since you have to register to post, I can see where it can be implemented on registration forms... To keep them from even registering. If that doesn't stop them, possibly only put it on the comments form until a user post like 10 post.

Just a thought

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Maybe we could integrate somehow with http://stopforumspam.com/ ?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    My only problem with those list is many spammers and spambots are very good and spoofing ip addresses. Once they detect that they are being blocked, they change their ip address.

I've had several instances where I added an ip to my list, and 6 months later, I get an email through one of the contact site admin links ( I don't block the whole site, just the section that has forms ), but an email link to contact the site admin is easy to find. Anyway, I've gotten several emails that way asking why they can't access the request forms.

Sure enough it was an ip that I was blocking because of spam.

Basically, I have a running list of ip's , after 4-5 months I flag them as open but monitor... Just in case.

Using a third party blacklist limits your control of what you allow.

I subscribe to Spamhaus, for several of my clients email systems... On avg. I have to make 2-3 whitelist request to them to open an email relay ip, because people that are submitting to them, are not double checking their entries. And ip's that were spoofed, end up on their master list.

Since spam can not only be irritating, but malicious to enterprise networks, it's worth the 2-3 request a month to block thousands of spam, malware and phishing emails. Spambots normally only affect 1 person and 1 machine. And if you can just flag em from the get go, it's really not a big deal ( at least not anymore ).

Yes, they can programmatically get around this fix, but in all honesty, I can't see anyone wanting to expend that much effort ( they are generally lazy people runing these things ) when they can just move on to millions of other sites that are running basically open to their attacks.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Note: Banned the spammer and split off this discussion.

There's a vB mod which adds a hidden field to the member registration form, and adds a custom code to it. If the spam bot overwrites the field, it knows the registration is a spammer and doesn't allow the form to go through.

WDF already uses StopForumSpam. On the backend of the module that connects to it you can select how far to go back in the SFS logs. That way you can compare an IP to only SFS logs from the past week, month, 6 months, etc.

I can't see the SFS logs here, but the SFS logs at a couple of other forums I admin are looong as hell, lol. Just saw this email address attempting to register a couple of days ago:

random[a..z]random[a..z]random[a..z]random[a..z]random[a..z]random[a..z]@< REMOVED DOMAIN>

The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    715 times
    The Game ...

Ooops! I removed the "reported post" on yours. Before I saw that you did it to
    draw attention. My bad.

I do the fake form thing all the time, and as long as that hidden form appears
    before the "real" form, the robots fall for that most of the time. If the spammers
    hire real monkeys to visits sites ... well, not much you can do about that.

I made a honeypot once that opened up web pages that were made to look like the
    user had gotten into some server files. I kept track to see how far they went into
    the links. The robots hit them all, so I expected that. Once in a while I could see
    where humans had gotten into the honeypot ... text boxes were populated with
    interesting things.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired, post: 241082
    Note: Banned the spammer and split off this discussion.

There's a vB mod which adds a hidden field to the member registration form, and adds a custom code to it. If the spam bot overwrites the field, it knows the registration is a spammer and doesn't allow the form to go through.

WDF already uses StopForumSpam. On the backend of the module that connects to it you can select how far to go back in the SFS logs. That way you can compare an IP to only SFS logs from the past week, month, 6 months, etc.

I can't see the SFS logs here, but the SFS logs at a couple of other forums I admin are looong as hell, lol. Just saw this email address attempting to register a couple of days ago:

random[a..z]random[a..z]random[a..z]random[a..z]random[a..z]random[a..z]@< REMOVED DOMAIN>

Hidden Field or "text area"...

Hidden Text Fields are kind hit or miss in my limited experience in testing this..

but the hidden text area is like a BIG CARROT dangling in front of them. Hasn't failed me yet..

Good to hear they are using this stuff.

Nothing is 100%, especially if it's supplemented with actual people working the registration forms.

Member #
    Liked
    715 times
    I just do this ...

<!--

<form action="sendmail.php" method="post">
    ... all of the form fields here ...
    </form>

-->

Important to name the action something like "email.php, sendmail.php, sendemail.php".
    The robots look for things like that, and when they see that form (in the HTML), even
    though it is commented-out, it will hit it like wildfire.

Remove Ads