Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    So, I was very interested in the 'what editor do you use' question posted recently. This got me thinking about how other people work in terms of posting content to their site.

Do you edit the content right on your site via a live FTP connection? Or do you build stuff on your local machine and then upload it?
    Do you have a 'development' site that you make your changes to, and then somehow move it to live when you're done?

Just curious.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I have my own servers so web space for development sites is not a problem.
    I use FileZilla for FTP, and Notepad++ for actual development.
    For the small amount of graphics I do, I use Paint.NET
    and for the servers, cPanel all the way! It can even do file edits in the web interface easily enough

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Nice! I've flip-flopped a few times between my own servers and hosted servers.
    As for cPanel, I've heard of it but never used it. How is the on-line editor? Does it have many features (eg. syntax highlighting)?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Send me a private conversation message; I'll give you a tiny cPanel hosting account you can play around with to look at the editor built into cPanel's File Manager. It's pretty good, of course being web-based it doesn't do everything but it's fine for a quicky fix.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Shoot -- didn't mean to snub you, shovenose. Thanks for the invite though! I couldn't figure out how to do a private message (still a n00b, sorry), and then had to go out for a while. Maybe tomorrow (I'm turning in now).

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    OK. You click on my username, and then "Start a Conversation" or just email me: (myforumusername)@hotmail.com

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lever, post: 241879
    Do you edit the content right on your site via a live FTP connection? Or do you build stuff on your local machine and then upload it?
    Do you have a 'development' site that you make your changes to, and then somehow move it to live when you're done?
    I use a local dev version until I'm ready to deploy. Then, it's Git to push it live. Before that, I just pushed using FTP.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I have several servers, one is setup for development work only and I restrict the ip blocks that can connect to it, but it allows me to fully test the site before making it available to the world.

Many of the people that i know that do web development either used their own vps or even a seperate "shared" hosting environment for testing.

I need edit directly online... All changes are tested in development, once I know the changes ( other than content ), once assured any change won't affect the site performance, they are pushed to the live site.

FTP profiles make it easy to just push your changes ...

Some development software have FTP builtin and some even go so far as to provide a "test or development" address ... When you go to publish, you select which to publish to.

Oh yeah, for client that use shared hosting, I do all their testing on a shared server as well.

If all you're concerned with is testing how a site looks and basically functions, testing on a local machine is fine, but if you want to test load speeds, image compression, etc... You have to test in a similar environment as your client site will actually be hosted.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Ronald Roe : I use git on some projects, but never thought of pushing right to the server. That's brilliant.
    Webzarus : Have a locked down, but still publicly accessible, dev server is a great idea. Never thought of doing that, but makes a ton of sense.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    And I'm a trained assassin and I love to kill using a Carbon Express Covert CX1 crossbow. What did that have to do with anything?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads