Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Hey everyone,

Some of you may have spotted some posts in the past regarding me searching for a web designer. Well, I've found one a few weeks ago and everything has been going great! The website is coming along great and should be launched this month. Meanwhile, I have created a Facebook page to get some people's attention and start getting the name out there since it won't be very long until launch.

As of today (Not even 24 hours since the page has been created) we're currently at ~45 likes. At 300 likes there will be a random drawing and the winner will receive a $50 VISA gift card. At 600 likes we will do another drawing for $75 and another $100 drawing at 1000 likes. So get on over to the page and like, like, like!

I figured I'd let my fellow forum members in on this action!

I will be posting in the website review forums when the site is ready to launch for some feedback from everyone!

Thank you all for your support,
    Eric

[EDIT: Link deleted as self-promotion, per forum rules. AlphaMare.]

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I've liked it. Do I have to do anything else to win it?
    And yes, I fully intend to win it. lol

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I've gotta say something here, and I guarantee you that if you argue with me someone else will back me on this...dude, you're going about it all wrong.

If you want people to like your stuff...as in legitimately like it...it has to be worth liking in the first place. This whole business of buying and begging for Facebook likes is just plain silly. Think about it...you get to 1000 likes, you hold your drawing, then what? You'll have given away $225 in gift cards. Are you going to get that $225 back? Not likely...especially since the link to your site doesn't work. The people who liked it for the gift card are probably going to bail for the most part, and you'll be left with maybe 10% of the "likers" actually interacting with your site...that's a very generous estimate on my part, too.

Even the somewhat shady Internet marketing bloggers are cluing into this, and usually they're the last ones on board:

http://performinsider.com/2012/09/bl...hey-dont-work/

Just something to think about.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Alright, well I don't want to argue with you, but obviously you have no idea about what the website is and how it works. I'm not really going to waste time explaining it to you since you didn't take the time to visit the page and read about it yourself. But, no the likes will not die off because as the likes get higher we will be doing more and more drawings (as a point of the website). Also, I clearly stated the website is not launched yet - which means the actual domain webpage will not load. I will be posting the website in the "review my website" area when it is about to launch and I do hope you will take a look at that as well. While I do appreciate your information and opinion, I don't appreciate the fact that you jumped to a conclusion without any actual knowledge of the current situation.
    shovenose likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ecustis, post: 242232
    Alright, well I don't want to argue with you, but obviously you have no idea about what the website is and how it works. I'm not really going to waste time explaining it to you since you didn't take the time to visit the page and read about it yourself. But, no the likes will not die off because as the likes get higher we will be doing more and more drawings (as a point of the website). Also, I clearly stated the website is not launched yet - which means the actual domain webpage will not load. I will be posting the website in the "review my website" area when it is about to launch and I do hope you will take a look at that as well. While I do appreciate your information and opinion, I don't appreciate the fact that you jumped to a conclusion without any actual knowledge of the current situation.
    I don't think GAME was dissing your idea for the website - I think he just assumed (as I did) this is just a marketing step.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    No no, I'm not saying he's dissing the idea for the website itself, but he is mocking the marketing for the "drawing for likes" for the Facebook page. I never said he was going against my overall idea. I hope this clears the confusion.
    shovenose likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ecustis, post: 242232
    If I didn't visit the Facebook page, I wouldn't have known about the domain not loading. That's how I found out about the domain not loading...I actually visited and looked around at what little you had. All I saw was a logo and a one-sentence blurb. I didn't see any other photos. I didn't see any other interactions. I didn't see posts. I didn't see much of anything other than a "Hi, I have a website called non-celebrity cribs". The fact that you even launched an FB page and are begging people to like it before your site's finished says more than you intend for it to.

I'm not mocking your idea, either...if I were mocking it, you'd know. I'm just pointing out that it's a mistake many others have made and continue to make. If you tell people to like something for the chance to win X or to get a free Y, you may get some likes...and that's fine. But then what? You don't get anything from them when they're reading your Facebook page. You don't get ad revenue. You can't sell them anything. Net revenue = $0.

That means the only way you can get them to perform an action that will generate you sufficient revenue to cover off the expense of the gift cards (assuming you actually stay true to your word and give them away, and I'll take you at your word) is to actually get them to go to the website...which isn't launched yet. That also means you have to have something that will net you at least $225 in profit to cover off the expense of those thousand likes...and even if you had a site launched, I doubt that you've got a revenue stream or series of streams sufficient enough to cover that. Keep in mind that the majority of your "likes" will probably never even see your site and are just in it for the gift cards that you'll keep handing out, which will add to the $225 figure.

So you can be mad at me all you want for pointing out the flaw in your marketing strategy, but ultimately when...not if, but when...you find you just flushed a bunch of money down the toilet on your Facebook marketing strategy, don't say no one warned you.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Sorry but you ramble way too much without actually taking the time to read thoroughly. The Facebook page does have posts, and if you knew anything about Facebook pages, you would know to click on the "about" section to read information about the site. Honestly, do you just type whatever comes to mind without any support to back it up? You just repeated the same thing you said earlier without even understanding what I said to you.

I'm done posting in this thread, waste of time, honestly. Thanks for the "help" but no thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 242222
    I've gotta say something here, and I guarantee you that if you argue with me someone else will back me on this...dude, you're going about it all wrong.

If you want people to like your stuff...as in legitimately like it...it has to be worth liking in the first place. This whole business of buying and begging for Facebook likes is just plain silly. Think about it...you get to 1000 likes, you hold your drawing, then what? You'll have given away $225 in gift cards. Are you going to get that $225 back? Not likely...especially since the link to your site doesn't work. The people who liked it for the gift card are probably going to bail for the most part, and you'll be left with maybe 10% of the "likers" actually interacting with your site...that's a very generous estimate on my part, too.

Even the somewhat shady Internet marketing bloggers are cluing into this, and usually they're the last ones on board:

http://performinsider.com/2012/09/bl...hey-dont-work/

Just something to think about.
    Sorry, been kinda busy... Yup, agree wholeheartedly about buying likes. Everyone I know that has actually tried it, says the same thing, really not worth the groveling. And FYI... That's about 40 people I know that all tried the "drawing for gift card thing", all across different industries, once the contest were done, the bulk of the people just removed themselves.

Personally, I think there are a lot of people that do nothing but site around all day and click on anything that says "chance at free money", I've got more important things to so with my time than "hope I get something for free".

If you can actually get it to pay off for you, go for it. But from all the people I already know have tried it, and did a cost analysis... They all said they would be better off spending money on google Adwords.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    No I understand that side of things, but unless you understand the point behind the website than you can't make those assumptions, in which the game obviously did. I'm not a biased one sided person and yes I know how that happens; I understand that concept 100%. But, the fact that conclusions were made without sufficient information really makes the comments somply asinine and ignorant.

Overall, yes I understand where you're coming from and I do appreciate fellow members looking out for and trying to inform me on the situation.

Conclusion: I'm not here to argue over a marketing strategy, that's not the point of this thread. If that's all that's going to happen from here on out an admin should just close it.

Eric

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads