Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    So I read a thread earlier that got me thinking about my coding methods. Right now I just use the original notepad to do the work on my site, but then I heard some one mention Notepad++. It got my mind moving a little bit. I haven't been able to find anything about it that really describes how it will benefit me. I just see that it says it will support HTML, CSS ,and a bunch of other languages. Is there anyone that uses it that could tell me what some advantages would be for me if I were to download and use the program? I really just use HTML and CSS.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The big advantage is syntax highlighting (color coding and highlighting of the various code elements you'll use). Makes it easier to debug as a result.

They also allow for line numbers...which also makes debugging easier.

It's not bad for editing HTML/CSS, although I prefer Visual Web Developer.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I just took a look at its website and I might download it. I just try not to download things unless I'm absolutely sure its something I want. The internet that I am stuck using right now has ridiculously slow download speeds.

You know, you are the only person that ever talks to me on here... You might as well set up an "Ask TheGAME1264 a Question" board haha.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    heh I get that a lot. You're probably right.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    you know when you download a Microsoft program they try to get you to download every program they ever created.... That's just really obnoxious...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, it goes beyond that. What they're trying to do, and for most people it's not of much use, is to get everything all in one spot so that it can all be installed smoothly and simultaneously. The Web Platform Installer is good for that.

The problem is that they make the mistake that they often make, and that's including features the majority would never want, need or use. In the case of WPI, I'm actually in the vast minority that will use it. But I'm also the last guy in the world anyone should ever cater their stuff to because I can also do things myself.

Member #
    I finally got it installed and was messing around with it a little bit. I could see how it would be a great tool but I can also see how it could be confusing for some one with little knowledge with HTML or CSS.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    One of the best features of Notepad++, in my opinion, is that it will highlight matching tags. If you click on an opening div tag, for example, it shows you the matching closing tag. In larger HTML files, that comes in handy when you may have omitted a closing tag or improperly nested an element.

Plus, you can collapse elements by clicking the little - icon on the left which makes large files easier to read.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Freelance Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I love that you can search for specific words in a while folder, including subfolders - recently i had to change a word that recurred about 437 times throughout the code of a site - this made it easy to find the exact lines where I had to make changes, in about 42 files.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    There is a great tool called "mreplace" which stands for multi-file search and replace (somehow). It's great for doing search and replace on multiple files, it can even do an entire folder. Plus, it's free.
    http://www.medcalcsoftware.com/legacysoftware/mreplace/
    Freelance Web Developer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads