Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I am new to this forum so I hope that this is the right place to ask this. I have a website and have been working on it for over a year trying to figure out how to start this website but can't figure out how to. I'm needing a lot of help from professionals on how to build this website.

The website is on Wordpress and I am currently using Boutique Themes and eshop. I am not a fan of the theme so that will have to change, that being said, eshop will also disappear.

Here is what I am currently needing to know how to do on my website:

* Install shopping cart (I'm needing a shopping cart that can do everything with including taking percentages off orders, coupon codes, etc)

* Install PayPal (customers will pay through PayPal)

* Order online (The website needs to be setup to where my customers can order online through the website. I'm also needing to install "cancelled order", "checkout", "thank you for your order", etc)

* Slogan under logo (I have a slogan that needs to be put under the logo on the website)

* Adding pictures (I've tried to add pictures of the sizes recommended but the pictures added are still very large and if I try to "save changes", it doesn't save changes or make any difference to the photos added)

* Picture slideshow (The theme I am currently using has a slideshow installed into the website, is there anyway to remove this slideshow?)

* Pricing (How do I add the price of the specific item on the specific item's page?)

* Description (How can I add a description of the specific product if the theme that is currently being used squishes it all into one sentence? The ingredients of the products are squished in with the description of the product. It won't allow me to change)

* Product pages (The specific page for the products is very bland and also includes two pictures of the same picture. How do I change the products page and delete the second photo?)

* Testimonial gallery (I am wanting my customers to leave a photo and testimonial of the products on the website on the "Testimonials" page. How do I make a photo gallery with written testimonials? How do I monitor added testimonials? I want to review them before posted)

* Pages for products (How do I make separate pages for separate products? I have a "products" page which someone else made for me but I am wanting to have treats under "treats", shampoos under "shampoos", foods under "foods", etc).

* If you search the name of the website, the name "Uncategorized" appears as the website's name when it's not and under the name of the website, it says "A description for this result is not available because of the site's robots.txt - learn more". I have no idea what this means and I read what was said on the "learn more" webpage and didn't understand most of what was said. I have no idea what robots.txt is and would love if when the name was searched that the name of the business would appear and have a description of the website.

I hope all of this makes sense. If you do not understand what I may be saying, I can link the website if that may help with anything so that you can take a look at it to understand what I am saying and to also look at it if you have any recommendations on what should be done to it.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hey Sparta!

Perhaps there is lots of people here that can help out but here's a few points to get you started:

* Ecommerce bits - find a good WordPress Plugin - there are lots - I won't mention them here but just a quick google of "WordPress Shopping Cart Plugin" will get you the most common ones - these are mostly mature and will deal with it all for you - make sure you read reviews etc. before purchasing

* Themes - for the major part you can get a new "ecommerce" theme - lots of these fit specifically with plugins to create the ecommerce setup - so it's often worth finding a theme/plugin provider who's style you like to get a first fix/website up.

*This will cover product pages, paypal, pricing & order online too if you get the right plugin/theme combo...

* Slogal under logo - this will be a 5 minute job for a developer/graphic kid - but I recommend getting it done AFTER you've settled on a theme as it might well need tuning to the theme. I find people at peopleperhour.com

* Uncategorized issue (presume in search engine) is because you have "privacy" mode turned on in WordPress - you'll need to turn this off to foster search engine indexing of your blog (In WordPress go to Settings -> Reading -> Make sure it's ticked next to "Search Engine Visibility)

... if it's not your speciality you can probably expect to hire a WordPress consultant for between 1000 and 5000 depending how hardcore you want to go in customising this - if your pushing it as a business that is

Hope that helps!
    Creator of Social Gallery for WordPress, Entrepreneur, Developer @ StormGate, drinker of many coffees.

Member #
    Woods,

Thank you for your reply.

* Is there anyway that you can private message me the WordPress Plugins to download? Does eshop not come with a shopping cart or do you know?

* As for the "Uncategorized" issue, how do I change this to where it shows up as the businesses name? If I go to the "Reading" page under "Settings" and scroll down to where it says "Search Engine Visibility", do I check or uncheck that box? It is currently checked as that's how it's always been.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi Sparta,

You'll have to find that yourself I am afraid - or hire a consultant (I charge for this kind of work, but I'm not here to sell my services)

Last tip: Get "All in One SEO Pack" plugin - that allows you to set titles & descriptions and will help your SEO generally.
    Creator of Social Gallery for WordPress, Entrepreneur, Developer @ StormGate, drinker of many coffees.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta, post: 246477
    Woods,

Thank you for your reply.

* Is there anyway that you can private message me the WordPress Plugins to download? Does eshop not come with a shopping cart or do you know?

* As for the "Uncategorized" issue, how do I change this to where it shows up as the businesses name? If I go to the "Reading" page under "Settings" and scroll down to where it says "Search Engine Visibility", do I check or uncheck that box? It is currently checked as that's how it's always been.
    I don't know about the eshop, but to change "uncategorized" you need to go to the Categories tab in the dashboard and just change the text from Uncategorized to what you want it to be, in this case that would be the business name.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Your Kind information I also use wordpress it is very simple system like a wordpad. Every thing is recommended you can changes easily without any problems. you got free design from wordpress database two type of Design is available Like one is paid and other is Unpaid what you like depend on you.

Remove Ads