Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I originally built it 14-15 years ago in dialup days and have never changed it much, I have moved towns 3 times and updated the local content only (this is our last move we have found paradise) now due to work commitments I haven't really got the time, and due to mortgage I don't really have the money

My site is just a personal site that gets used by locals and tourists for weather and district info, you would be welcome to put a permanent link and ad,
    I have MS Frontpage and also Adobe CS5 Master Collection with Dreamweaver and all the other but I haven't worked Adobe out as yet
    Since I have moved down to this tourist area my site is starting to get a lot of traffic so I think it's timed it changed it's looks,
    If your an up and coming designer or an established one with a quiet period happening and want a lot of exposure then this will help you out, I will also guarantee a lot of verbal advertising for whoever does the job, I manage a John Deere dealership and have a lot of contacts in the area which is full of Vineyards and tourism related businesses, there is plenty of opportunity to pick up work as people here are just starting to realize the power of the net (seriously )
    I'm not promising any get rich quick scheme or profit sharing or even guaranteeing you will pick up paid work, as mentioned I will guarantee exposure in a top tourist area and a lot of verbal pushing as well.
    I live in Margaret River (Margs) Western Australia, Margs is one of Australia's top surfing locations and home to around 200 Wineries plus many other tourist related businesses, Margs has a population of around 10,000 but last year over 500,000 tourists visited the area, so our population effectively doubles every week, my site has a lot of weather information and online weather station updating 24/7 so I get a lot of traffic wanting weather info, we get visitors from all over the world and Margs is a little upmarket and is why I need my site done up, my site looks like it was in a redneck convention, I have other plans for the site as well
    I have just bought a new domain name [EDIT: domain removed] and you can view my site their, my old domain will expire in April and I wouldn't mind something new by then
    I know designers get asked for freebies all the time, the company I work for does also, we pick the ones that we think will get us some return, if you want exposure you will get it, it is like building an advert for yourself
    If you are interested please PM me and I will let you know where I want the site to go and what I want
    thanks in advance
    Cheers
    Paul

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Dude, I'm going to be honest with you...when you say what you just said, this is what most of us actually hear.

To be blunt, if you want something done properly (and no, I'm not your guy since neither up-and-coming nor in a quiet period), you're going to have to be prepared to pay for it. We have several talented people here, such as AlphaMare, Fireproofgfx, Ronald Roe, RDesignista, and several others...but I guarantee you that if you want something "good", you won't get it for the vague promise of uncontrolled verbal exposure that probably won't lead to paying work.
    Ronald Roe, AlphaMare and woods like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I expect a fair bit of stick but who knows someone may take it on, as I said I'm not promising anything really, but I know this area, it has been in a time warp for ever and the people are just starting to use the net as a medium, the opportunity is there, my site crap as it is gets used a fair bit by locals and tourists, everyone wants to know what the weather is doing, I have provided this info for 15 years in a couple of locations, when it changes design people will ask about it, if no one takes it on I will go with a template and change it around, no skin off my nose really
    Cheers Paul

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Actually I have a similar site, been keeping it going for over 10 years, but I have log files to prove the amount of traffic that actually visits it.

So, you have made the claim that the site gets a lot of traffic, and that would be really the only draw as to why someone might do something for you, hoping they could potentially get some referrals, etc

Not that I'm interested either, but if someone were interested, would you be willing to provide proof of the traffic ? Like log files ? Access to analytics ?

Would the potential person that does this be able to use their own Adsense ads on your site ( that might be an incentive if you get the traffic you claim as well ).

Or you just wanting a freebie design, then walk away, with no chance of knowing anything or potentially, you deciding one day to this their links off ?

If this is legit, and you want to get someone other than someone starting out that doesn't know any better, your going to have to offer something other than promises, you need to offer something concrete that can be written into a contract and make enforceable... Something that assures them, all their work won't be for nothing, 2 weeks or months down the road.

Seriously, if the site is getting any traffic , and doing so well, are you not making some kind of ad revenue ? Why not a % ?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What he said. The big thing is that there needs to be a "what's in it for the designer and you?" A revenue share/tradeoff for the designer...that might work. Even one of those tacky designer credit hyperlinks since the designer isn't getting paid...mayyyyyyyybe (although that's a stretch).

The promise of verbal mentions...not so much. I've gotten several referrals verbally over the years, so it can work. The problem is that it usually doesn't. I often get asked "did you hear from XYZ person?" "Who?" "Oh, they saw our website and wanted you to work on theirs, so I gave them your number." "Weird...they never called." I appreciate my clients' efforts that way, and I certainly don't blame them for trying, but it's just one of those things that doesn't generally work out. I'd say the percentage of referrals that even call is between 1 in 7 to 1 in 12 somewhere.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    My site is non profit, my site is on another domain and I have just bought this domain, I have had this site for 15 years mostly on my ISP's free site and on my old domain for 3 years, it was based in the mid west of WA originally in a town of 300 people so not much traffic, last 11 years it has been in another farming town of 5000 people with local traffic and some travelers, now new area and domain for here, my hit counter is correct at 120,000 or so I have no reason or nothing to gain by modifying it, this has been their for 12 years, first 10 of those would have been 60,000 and the next couple 60,000 with traffic sure to increase, I have only been here a few months, i'm not promising anything only exposure, you can google my name Paul Nock and weather I pop up all over the place, I am well known through western australia for providing weather info as I have done it so long, I am not going to ********, i am going to try and make money out of it but I'm not offering profit share either because I don't know how it will go, if anyone is interested then PM me and I will let you know where I would like to go, or you can tell me where to go it doesn't matter really, I am offering good exposure in Western Australia's premium tourist area and with my weather theme and station people will visit, people always want to know what the weather will do when they are planing or on holiday.
    I not a fan of google ad banners I think they look cheap on other sites, they never seem to blend in, I am playing around in dreamweaver but for me it will take for ever and frontpage seems to be past it's use by date.
    Game you have had referrals so it can work, I have the added advantage of dealing with the Vineyards, Breweries and other tourist based businesses almost daily, so I can guarantee verbal as well, Webz it's legit I'm not a scammer, I manage a John Deere Branch in Witchcliffe just out of Margaret river, I could offer percentages but if I make 0 the what's the percentage of that?, really a false promise, as mentioned I can run with a free template I have the knowledge to change them around but I am just asking if some wants to have a go at it and see where it leads, I have until April before my other domain expires, so a reasonable amount of time, I am not promoting the new domain as yet.
    Sure it's a gamble for anyone who takes it on, your only gambling time, time is valuable of course, but really if no one in the world took a gamble in life where would we be, no microsoft for one, but maybe that would be a good thing

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    FYI, if your old domain is 15 years old, it will have a lot more weight with Google. Switching to a new one is a VERY, VERY bad idea. It could kill your traffic. It's the same as moving your John Deere store that's been around for 15 years to a new remote location and telling no one about it. If you do nothing else to the site, keep it on the old domain. You'll regret doing otherwise.

Member #
    Hi Smoseley, my site was mostly at isp free sites, I had to go with a domain and hosting when my weather station went on line 2 years ago, my current domain will be around until April and I will set up a redirect when the new domain is up, I don't think it will take long as people will search for Margaret River Weather for example it should be picked up soon enough, I should keep my regular traffic anyhow, the reality is it's a new site in a new area, but thanks for the advice, it's all a trial :-)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Cheers.

Member #
    Well I started something on my own, my basic design and html knowledge and a long weekend of learning dream weaver and finding editing CSS sheets wasn't that scary I slapped something together, it looks heaps better anyhow, [EDIT: Link removed] check it out and give me your worse, but the toughest critic must admit it's an improvement.
    I had a couple of guys from a UK forum want to do something but dropped the idea when I got into it, has been a long time since I edited the whole site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads