Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, this is my first post, and it's not really related to web design.

For years now, I've been trying to get started in free-lance web design, but I have been hampered by fears and self-doubt.

I don't know how to get started. I'm competent enough with DW and PS (the two main tools I've always used) but I don't know how to charge clients, or whether I can actually do it. It would be my first time, and I admit I'm intimidated by the prospect of not handling it right. Honestly, I think I suffer from depression. Hell, I don't even know if I'm cut out for web design, even though I've been telling people I'm a web designer.

The last time I had a full-time job in a web design company was 12 years ago... and it's been a rough ride ever since. I took other jobs to get by, and 3 years ago, I tried to get back into web design, this time as a free-lancer.

I recently tried to design a personal site for a friend, and I actually had a pretty good design, but I never got around to finishing it. I think the years of unemployment and feeling that I was a failure took a toll on my motivation and drive. I have a hard time now trying to finish what I started, and it hasn't been easy to just do the job...

Anyway, I think I wanted an objective outsider to tell me like it is, and tell me whether I'm cut out for this business or not. I am introverted, and though I have good interpersonal skills, I am not very socially adept in the office, so I prefer to work alone.

I am also VERY non-technical, i.e., I know almost nothing about programming, or the latest trends or techniques about this n' that. All my knowledge is intuitive, and based solely on my competence in DW and PS.

I do want to be good in this profession, but at the same time, I fear I might not have the natural talent to be in web design at all. I mean, if I had been talented, I think I would have been well-established in the profession long ago. Instead, trying to get motivated and do the design has been a struggle. Sorry this post is long, but I hope to get some advice on whether I should stay in web design, or leave it for good. Thanks.

~ Craig

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You say you're good at DW AND PS, then focus on that. As you already know, web design is so much more than just design. To be able to offer the most flexibility and options to design, you should know some JavaScript ( not just the stuff that DW is going to bloat when you insert it ), and some basic PHP.

If you're good at design, the graphics, etc... There are tons of developers out there that hire, contract, etc... From designers all the time.

But you're gonna need a portfolio, most developers are not going to take the time to wait and see if you're designs will work for them, the whole purpose they hire it out, is either they don't have the eye for it, or just don't want to waste their time because they know what they come up with isnt what they want.

The design and graphics aspect of web design is a sub set of skills that not everyone has, so if you're good at it, you should focus on that.

If you're end goal is to be a full on web design freelance, with your own full service company. Then you will also need to work on your skills, catch up with current technology , as that's what developers are looking for... But also to meet your end goal.

Human nature makes you have the feelings of self-doubt, in your case they seem to be a little extreme, but usually artistic people are there hardest critics.. So get over the doubt, create a portfolio, and get out there.

Teach yourself some PHP and JavaScript, and move on.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Doesn't sound like you lack skill, but that you lack will! If you are not motivated because you're doing some other work; stick with the other work you're doing. However, if you are not motivated at doing any work than that's a problem.

If your problem is the later than just keep doing nothing and eventually you will loose everything including a place to live. By the time you wind up in the homeless shelter that should give you all the motivation you need to be the best web designer on the planet!

Remove Ads