Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need a guide to build a web

Member #
    Hey guys,
    I'm interested to build a website for my church.
    Referring this as a ideal site http://grace-intl.com/
    But I'm not good in web designing. What and where I should start ?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So tell us something about your skill set ? If you know anything ? Graphics design ?

It's pretty general question that you can get a host of answers to and they would all be correct.

Do you have a domain name for the site ? A hosting plan ? Anything ? Or just an idea ?

Member #
    Sorry for my question.
    Basically I can identify myself as a random net browser. Knows basic java.
    My church has a plan to build an official webpage for their congregation. But seems I'm the only guy who actually identified as 'net-citizen' by them, they request me to come-up with a site with given site address as an example.
    www.victoriouslivings.com is going to be the domain.
    What kind of web I should choose (either CSS/Flash/Javascript/HTML5/Php)?
    What will be the cost ? Should I need a web hosting too ?

Please for me again. I'm not demanding. I looking for a guidance. I really wanna help my church. So, I'm willing to learn if its needed so. Guide me. Please give me a brief explanation on how this works.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It says that domain name has expired ??? Needs to be renewed before anything else.

Yes, you will need hosting.

Identifying a site that you would like to model your site after is fine, but you'll at least need to know HTML, CSS and some JavaScript to build the site.

I could throw a whole list of other things at you, but for a basic site ( to he started ), all you really need to know and understand is the above mentioned.

Once you have a grasp on those and depending on our needs, you can add skills moving forward.

If you find all this intimidating, then yes you may want to pay someone to build the site for you ... But the cost will all depend on what you want ... # of pages, the ability to make updates regularly, upload images, flyers etc...

You may also want to consider what is called a CMS ( content management system ), like Wordpress, joomla, etc. many people in your situation find this to be an ideal solution to getting a site up and growing it.

Most decent web hosting providers have setups to "one click" install programs like Wordpress, etc on a paid hosting plan.

Member #
    Yes. The domain just expired on last February. Previously I used CMS as you said. Now, heading for another level to have a well customized (what we want) site. Can I proceed with a wordpress domain purchased from godaddy.com using ready-made template ? And later, I start learn HTML and CSS via online and moderate 1 by 1 ? Before that, can ya guide me the way of to choose the options (such as bandwidth speed, email, host space,) before I buy it ?

BTW, thanks for replying me patiently.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Again, it all depends on what you want to do.

You mentioned email for a reason, otherwise most people don't even think about email.

Godaddy is probably the largest name in hosting and yes, they are fine for what I think you're trying to do. Most if not all of their shared hosting options have a "one click" install of Wordpress.

As for customizing, and adding most anything, Wordpress probably has the most options, themes and one of the largest support groups around. Wordpress site has forums specifically for worpress and pretty much anything and everything you want to do with it can be found there.

As for what hosting package you need ? That is the $64 thousand dollar question, but it basically comes down to, buy the package that you can afford now because you can always upgrade in the future if you need to. Personally, I would stay away from the budget plans. But that's me.

If you need more than a couple small email accounts, email can be purchased as an add on to the domain. I have several clients that have 20+ email accounts, easy to setup, manage, configure.

Member #
    Hi.

I think, you will need to make design of your church website. Have you acquainted with Photoshop or other designs tools. It will let you think and work on elements of your website.

Once you could make the mockup with HTML, CSS, JavaScript , its possible to make a basic site. For publishing, of course, you need a hosting and domain name.

Finding relevant domain name is also important as www.thisismydomainnameformysite.com won't help that much as relevant names do.

Thanks
    Adam Christ

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Since the website is for a church you should be able to find designers/ developers who might do this for you for free. The reason they might do this for you for free is because they believe in charity or they are students wanting to build their portfolio.

Post an ad in craigslist that your church is looking for pro bono work; also call your local community colleges, 4 year colleges, and high schools asking for someone who would like to do this for your church for free. Lastly contact some web design shops by email asking if they would like to do this work pro bono; they could deduct this from their taxes as a charitable business expense.

My above ideas will save you a lot of headaches and most likely get you better quality work done for your church. Good luck to you.

Banned
    Member #
    As the website is for a church you should need to carefully evaluate the situation and make special concern to the website logo design.Anyhow thanks for such a nice contribution.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Drivale you sure are off to a bad start. Must be a New York thing lol.. Not. This is an old "dead" thread that you just reopened by posting something that's irrelevant to say the least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads