Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So I'm reading a post a little while ago on LinkedIn ...

The post was relative to the title of this post, the details are as follows:

Site had been in existence for over 4 years, 3 months ago there was a major site rebuild and launch.

The site prior to being relaunched, could be found under numerous keywords pertaining to the site, etc.

After 3 months, the SERPS are pretty much non-existent.

I'm not going to give the URL out because the it's a site that should never have to ask the question. Sadly there were already 3 responses on the LinkedIn post, all of them asking for the site URL. But if you looked at the posters name, you'd be able to guess it easily. And non of these so called experts had offered any conclusions as to why it had happened.

I'd like to get some "possible" answers from you guys and gals as to what you think might have caused this to happen. Another reason I did not list the URL or post this in a particular forum ( this thread should probably be moved once the answer is published ), just so others might find some benefit from it.

I might even give some hints as to the nature of the cause, but for now I'm just going to leave this completely open to discussion and see what kind of answers are brought forth.

And NO, I did not provide the answer to the LinkedIn post, as I mentioned before, the question was posed by someone, that should already know the answer based on what they are offering on thwir site.

Looking forward to hearing the possibilities.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Given the nature of the question and my suspicion that it's probably something stupid that caused it, I'm going to list the 5 things that I think are most likely, in descending order of "oh my GOD you did WHAT?"

1) robots.txt disallow, or equivalent block using meta robots tag.
    2) Complete rebuild of content, scrapping the old content completely.
    3) Rewriting of URLs, possibly without corresponding 301 redirect from old URLs.
    4) New domain name for no real reason other than "keyword-optimized domain name."
    5) The site participated in a link scheme upon relaunch to "boost its SEO popularity", possibly by buying social media likes, buying links, or some other stupid link scheme.

Of course, there could be anything involved and even though I don't agree with most SEO "experts", I'd want to see the site in question and ask several other questions before I came to any sort of conclusion. But that's not really the purpose of this exercise.

Where are you seeing this question, anyway? I thought LinkedIn dropped the Q&A.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Anyone else ?

I was expecting at the very least, a couple of responses, because there are really no wrong answers here.

There are numerous things that can make a search engine not index your site, but the only reason I posted this thread is because it was one of those "perfect storm" scenarios ( I believe ), and it covers so many of the basics...

And yes, the company that posted the original question on LinkedIn has now removed the question, I suspect someone sent them a private reply telling them what they did wrong or worse yet, pointing out that since they are a web development and SEO company, its probably not good PR to be asking questions about something they should know about.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You also asked people to think. That automatically eliminates responses from most people.

I'd love to see the site, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads