Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Thinking about getting back into it

Years ago I worked in web design, I went to school for it and worked for a few places. I took a break to pursue music and other things, now I am missing it. I'm wondering if anybody could give me some input on what the industry is like today, what is most important to learn and what is in demand? Last I remember I was making websites using tables. However, I do have a book on CSS3 and HTML5, so I have an idea as far as that goes, but I just don't know what an employer expects these days.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Well, that questions is only going to be answered by potential employers.

Seriously, the landscape has changed so drastically in the last 10 years.... and the technologies are so different, it's true that web technology is being used in most every aspect of business, but what and how companies use the technology varies from outsourcing basic stuff... hiring freelance designers for templates and design stuff, to running share point services ( web based collaboration systems ), to web applications for just about everything.

I have clients that use web services I designed years ago for all their internal communications, I have several clients that use web based tools for DB management and reporting, pretty much everything I've done has some sort of server side scripting along with the design stuff. Even web sites I've done for clients use server side scripting, I don't think I've done a static site in 10 years.

Perhaps if you have some sort of programming skills, there's opportunities, but I can't think of anything "working for someone" that would use just "design"... unless perhaps it's an actual "design house" where all you do is create layouts and basic frameworks for designs.

Good that you have the book on HTML5 and CSS3 but in my opinion, unless you have a good understanding of the basics of CSS design, you may not want to hop right into it, and since most browsers are still not 100% supporting of it....

Member #
    Hmm, thanks. My other idea was to perhaps use the design skills to start some sort of business... I'm just not sure what yet.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    To answer your question, what WZ said. There are so many different employers, and they all have different needs and wants. Some want designers, some want developers, some want people to help them with server administration (or take it over outright), some want marketing help, some want help with things such as PCI compliance, some want help with their network as the employees in their network are all involved with the website, some want copywriting help, some want SEO help, and some want some combination of all that stuff. That's a nice short list, right? Yeah, no problem.

In other words, it all depends. HTML5 / CSS3, besides lacking full browser support (although that gets a whole lot easier by April 8) will put you in a class of about a million people...unfortunately, that's the easiest of the skills to pick up. If you can even pick up two or three of the other things, you'll be in much better shape. I'd start with development myself...there's a real lack of talented developers. I'm not talking about "front-end web development" either...that's just a corpspeak euphemism for web design. Development is along the lines of PHP, ASP, ASP.net, Ruby on Rails, things like that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I'm not talking about "front-end web development" either...that's just a corpspeak euphemism for web design. Development is along the lines of PHP, ASP, ASP.net, Ruby on Rails, things like that.
    As I attend a web design school some of the instructors refer to themselves as front-end web developers and the others get a good laugh out it. I'm also in a space where I feel comfortable with the basic HTML5/CSS3 but I was wondering where should I be looking next either Javascript or PHP.

Also please forgive my ignorance but could you further explain your April 8 reference?

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I'm not talking about "front-end web development" either...that's just a corpspeak euphemism for web design. Development is along the lines of PHP, ASP, ASP.net, Ruby on Rails, things like that.
    As I attend a web design school some of the instructors refer to themselves as front-end web developers and the others get a good laugh out it. I'm also in a space where I feel comfortable with the basic HTML5/CSS3 but I was wondering where should I be looking next either Javascript or PHP.

Also please forgive my ignorance but could you further explain your April 8 reference?

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    April 8: Support ends in 2014 for Windows XP and Office 2003!

The significance of this from a web point of view is that this will also end support for the last OS to use IE7 and 8, so usage should peter out as we get closer to that date and older machines are replaced with newer ones. Of course, in less developed and third-world countries (e.g. China) some of the older stuff will still kick around, so it is "to be considered", but it doesn't need to be all that serious a consideration for the most part.

There's a reason those instructors are "front-end web developers". As is the case with most post-secondary instructors, in all likelihood these guys were abject failures in the real world and now teach others because they have experience...ummm...they know...ummm...errr...uhhhh...dahhh...ask WZ, I've got nothin'.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    You guys are awesome. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Remove Ads