Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Webzarus

Thread: Smoking in the US - state bans, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times

Smoking in the US - state bans, etc.

This is related to a site I'm working on. I'm trying to figure out if the Wikipedia entry I found on the topic is accurate, and can't seem to find any supporting evidence.

List of smoking bans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it missing anything, or is anything incorrect?

Thanks.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Well, kinda.

most bans are specific to "public buildings", meaning buildings that hold offices for "state govt" services of some sort or held by the state govt.

of all the places that have bans ... Guess which ones aren't covered ? Schools . There's an exception built into the bans that allows "areas" within the schools to have designated smoking areas... As well as many of the large airports.. Although they are "smoke free"... Many have "smoking zones"...

Of a few small cities that have implemented "smoking bans" city-wide... Meaning public streets, sidewalks, buildings, etc... The economic impact brought on by it ( ie... People don't like being told what they can or can't do .... Most last about 2-3 years and lift the ban... These city wide bans only encompassed public property... Private property cannot be forced to adhere to these bans.

im in SC, I quit smoking 10 years ago, so I'm an empathetic non-smoker, the data and facts used to push this agenda have always been skewed... Ie.. Standing on a sidewalk for 15 minutes as cars pass... You are exposed to more toxins than sitting in a room full of smokers for 4 hours... But you won't hear that from experts... For the most part, when I did smoke, I asked if people around me minded before lighting up, unless everyone already had... I never smoked at a table while others were eating... I never smoked in the car with my kids around... And rarely smoked inside my house... Bit that's not here not there.

i would take that info as a "guideline of what the supporters want you to think"... As I said before ... They make "amendments" to their own "bans" to accomodate their personal agenda. Recently the state tried to bring forward a bill to make all colleges that receive state money ( all of them), tobacco free environments... Meaning nowhere on campus... Period... It was shot down in first reading because "administrators" were afraid it would affect out of state enrollments.

there was a bar that I had never been to... I had always been told it was a non smoking bar... Anyway, friends wanted to do happy hour there... When I go there, there was this HUGE area out back... Covered... Opens sides.. Place was packed... Most everyone was smoking ... I asked... The obvious ... This is what I was told... "The inside dining area is non smoking"... Later when I walked through to leave... I noticed 4 people in that area... ( seating for 100 people)... There were probably 300-40" people out back...

the truth is... There are those that want to force being healthy on all under the guise that its in our best interest... Or its a public safety issue... But yet, when the rules that they so vigorously push and support get in their way... Or are inconvience ... Exceptions are made... Or changed to accomodate what they need.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, we have the same rule here as far as schools are concerned. I suspect it's because at least some of the teachers smoked other things.

Basically, here's my ultimate question...let's say a private enterprise (it doesn't really matter which one for the most part, but let's use a mall) is what we're talking about. Since, as you said, private enterprise is private enterprise it generally can't be touched by law. Are they all exempt? Or is that state to state, and does that fall under "workplace" legislation (as the employees of a mall work there)?

By the way, I'm straightedge, so I've never even touched the things myself. Personally, I think they're disgusting and I try not to hang around people when they are lighting up (I don't even like the smell of flavored tobacco in a hookah pipe). But people should have the right to smoke if they're not affecting others by doing it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Well,'a mall may be a private enterprise, but sadly just about anything here in the states that has more than one business entity under the same roof... Different rules apply. Typically, local municipalities can sting arm their way in stating "public safety" and the owners usually don't fight it.

Going back to a standalone business, as for the "workplace" rulings... Well, in reality, it is the business choice, but they have to inform potential employees of the choice to allow or not, smoking in the facility. Funny thing is... If its a business that caters to patrons ( bar, restaurant, store )... The patrons can smoke... But as a general rule, the employees can't unless they are on break outside the restaurant.

i work in a manufacturing facility ( my day job ), and I started on the floor... At that time, anyone could smoke pretty much anywhere ... Gradually, rules and safety concerns have changed... They now have designated smoking areas outside the plant, smoking is not allowed anywhere inside the building... And next year... Because of Obama care, health insurance premiums will increase for smokers... ( it was just a matter of time )... So kind of a bad slam on this mandated BS they call the affordable care act, since my premiums have tripled in the past 2 years... ( before any of it was enacted )...

a freestanding private business ( their choice ), a business that can fall under "public safety" concerns or is within a municipality that wants to enforce their rules... Its pretty cut an dry where I am... But I'm sure there are states and municipalities that will try to force their way on private business until it adversely affect their economic situation.

A small beach town down the road from my home, enacted a "city wide" ban... After the bad press from forcing business to follow their rules, and from issuing tickets to visitors that were not aware of the changes ( or didn't think they applied to the beach ), when their tourism $$$ dropped and businesses closed and moved out of town... The city rescinded the law... 7 years later, they are still trying to recover from it.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Ahhh okay. Then I think I know how to handle the situation. That actually made things a lot clearer to me than it would have seemed.

Thanks, dude.

Remove Ads