Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

SEO for websites... what about SEO for the business?

Hi all

I possess limited knowledge in the way of SEO, however i understand that many people use article submission to boost their rankings. I read a business article on strategies for gaining clients recently in which it stated that it would be a good idea to submit articles on tutorials or general web service help to your local newspaper. This helps the newspapers readers along with boosting your reputation. From this people would be able to see what you did and contact you to enquire about what you offer.

Has this worked for anyone else in the past to raise your community's awareness about you?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I've never written such an article and submitted it to a local newspaper, Henry. Then again, I've never needed to. So I can't say for sure whether or not it will work for you.

I would say that it probably wouldn't, though. I wrote several articles back in the day that really didn't generate much traffic, as I had failed to realize something back then that applies now (I stopped in 2005)...when everyone else is doing the same thing in concept, what you're doing generally doesn't work, even if your take on a topic is original. The big problem with the article submission idea is that most sites that will accept your article are either low-grade article farms and/or community websites that won't generate you much traffic. Out of all of the articles I've ever seen submitted, I've seen exactly two that generated a significant amount of traffic to a site of mine, and I didn't even write the articles. One was published in the Edmonton Journal about various things to do in the winter in Edmonton in 2012 (silly buggers archived it, though) and one was published in various web design and SEO newsletters.

So you're going to need an original tack on a topic, and you're going to need a source that will send you converting traffic. Those are your two major requirements.

Two things that you'll want to keep in mind about SEO advice online, especially free SEO advice...it's generalist, and it's usually really bad. Google has taken dead aim at article sites for years now and has published webmaster tools help specifically on the topic of article "SEO" schemes in the last few months. Yet the "SEO community" insists on blathering away about article and directory submission and forum posting as "SEO" activities when they aren't and haven't been in quite some time.

https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/66356?hl=en

So approach this from the standpoint of traffic generation and business building, not "SEO".
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Really? YOU DON'T SAY.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads