Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    This article goes to says how Microsoft is now using Linux webservers for their website . Basically because Windows servers are bad an insecure.
    Download Firebird now!

Member #
    LOL, that's great. I've heard of them using Linux before for various reasons. Too funny.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Linux is not necessarily a better choice. It is merely targeted less because the kids love to trash Microsoft. Their software may be questionable, but it is relatively easy to use. Their hardware is excellent, hands down.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    No they are not. They are using Akami's Linux-based servers to act as a defense line from attacks.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Microsoft does have some awesome software. I just bought their Multimedia Keyboard, oh god I am drooling over it, it is amazing. I really don't know why kiddies make fun of MS Products, maybe because they think its cool, I don't know. I have never gotten a blue screen, and I use it for the same thing as the next person my age, hardcore gaming, hardcore designing, hardcore 3d modelling, and it is in perfect shape. Sure my HARDWARE has crashed, but never windows.

Also it doesn't really matter what software MS uses to keep their networks up online. They have millions of people viewing many of their network sites a day at a time, I don't think they want to risk loosing those million potential customers. A business has to do what a business has to do. Their server operating systems may not be the best for hosting sites etc, though the NT is very good. They are top of the line for running Private networks, private business networks, networks that transfer data at a very high velocity that Linux is not made for. They perform amazing in the business environment, and work awesome with Apple, for networking.

As many of you might know my dad owns a Printing company, in this business, there is an average transfer of 10gb per hour through employees, to customers, to sales, to printing, to office to whatever. There is an Apple lab, and the main servers run Windows server technology, there has not been any failure yet except the prescheduled ones (updates etc) sure they use Linux, but it has not been able to provide the user management, data management, and private protection within the network that windows server do.

For web sure I agree Linux is awesome, and thats what MS may be using it for, but hands down in a business/work environment Microsoft Server software come out in top, and I have seen it first hand. We are currently testing with Linux, but at the moment it has not meeting our standards to use it in the work environment. We use it to transfer files to customers as a webserver, but that is pratically our only use for it at the moment. We are still keeping an eye on Linux.

Anyways just thought I'd explain some stuff based on my experience, and why MS would use Linux.
    Arunan S.
    CEO/President
    ServerLines, LLC.

Member #
    Also look at it this way. I own a big company, multi-million dollar company, with sales through making CD's for gaming companies, if it would save me money to get those cds done with another company, faster, and at better quality, and cheaper than what I would invest, then I would go with them, and still make money, and still provide the customers with what they want, with little job on my end.
    Arunan S.
    CEO/President
    ServerLines, LLC.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Problem with all of that is that M$ keeps saying that their server software is better than Linux overall. If they really were to use it en mass for something like Windows Update, well then... they're saying they don't trust their own code... Businesses should go with whatever does the job the best, but if you go with your competitor's stuff instead of yours, well then why are you in business?

It's like Coke only stocking their breakrooms with Pepsi
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Coke + Pepsi is not really the right comparison. Who knows really, whatever floats their boat.

See you say Microsoft says their server software is better than Linux overall. The MSN (Network) is one of the biggest online, for offering news, downloads, car guides and much much more, they have millions of potential CUSTOMERS accessing their data online every day. It is a whole different business, and if it means to invest in another product other than their own to make millions more, then so be it.

By the way, I am just explaining why they would use it etc. I just did a service scan on MSN.com they use Microsoft-IIS/5.0 and MS it self is using Microsoft-IIS/6.0. Though they may use Linux in their ServerFarm.

Anyways back to discussion. Now this could be a rumour or not, but the overall point stands, MSN and some of the more high-traffic sites of MS might use Linux in their server farms, business is a harsh world, their networks are private and not even one of us will have access to their data centers or whatever, so they are free to use whatever they have to to make millions

I know I am not getting my point out clearly, mainly because I am not good with words (sometimes), its just your choice, you either decide to be open minded and listen, or to be arrogant and attack someone :-p
    Arunan S.
    CEO/President
    ServerLines, LLC.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I haven't read all the posts...

People always hack and send virus's to microsoft for publicity and because they are jeleous!

I think it's sad because imagine being put in Bill Gate's shoe's. He's worked hard and he started from the bottom and now he's at the top no1 likes him well ...

*pulls out his black framed glasses*

I'd be chuffed if i met him i bet he knows some really sneaky tricks for windows etc..
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    The thing is, some people are jealous, some people didn't like how he got on top, some people can't afford his products, so in turn they bash him, his company, his products.
    Arunan S.
    CEO/President
    ServerLines, LLC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads