Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Giving up on building myself. Going to pay a pro. But how much?

I have been trying it teach myself dreameaver for the last two months but have come to the realization I won't be able to build a site to my expectations. I'm looking for a pro in the NYC area but have no idea on price ranges. I want to build a social media type site with member profiles ECt. What price range should I be looking at? Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Depends on what you're trying to build and who can do it. You may need a designer. You may need a developer. You may need both. You may also need other services, such as legal services. You really haven't given enough information for anyone to say "it'll cost $X to build."

You may also find that you're restricted as far as talent and price if you stay local to New York City. You could just as easily hire someone, or a group of people, who aren't necessarily from the New York area without any more risk than you would hiring a local person. The dispute mechanisms credit card issuing banks and payment processors such as PayPal have implemented place burden of proof on the provider to show that the work was completed, so the cost factor is mitigated somewhat. Communication for a lot of people is easy, since things like Skype, Google Talk, and VoIP help a great deal in that regard. I can't speak for others, but I can call anywhere I want to in North America and I pay $10 / month for the privilege. Saves me about $50 a month on average.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Probably in NYC looking at minimum $5,000 and the sky is the limit depending on waht you want features wise.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    First of all, ditch Dreamweaver.

If you're on a budget, and want to build a social networking site...seriously consider BuddyPress: BuddyPress.org

It'll cost you the low price of $0. Hosting/domain costs will be another story, the $0 price is just for the software.

Test it on a local web server first to get a feel for it.

Remove Ads