Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Promoting and Setting Up Shop

Hi!

I am a fairly new designer and know a lot about tech, with 15 years in IT. Mostly networking and tech support. I know a bit about sales too.

I am not employed at the moment and thought to go door to door to get some clients.

I am in southern California. After about 50 cards given, I booked an appointment for next Monday.

I am excited! But, I realize there are some details I don’t know exactly what to do. Kind of cart in front of the horse.

So, how can I find out how pros do it, namely:

1. How to register potential client’s website. Let’s say we choose a domain name. Should I have her register it with her there, with her credit card, or do I do that or is there a more professional way to do it away from the client?
    2. What about forms, contracts?
    3. Payment – I was thinking 50% down, remainder due on completion
    4. Changes – allow for 5 changes per contract length
    5. Who would she make a check out to? Directly to me? Is that ok and professional?
    6. Material to bring – sketchpad?
    7. And anything else designers do or have that make the experience go smooth and professional.

Thank you in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Hi Pranaman,

Some suggestions:
    1. I normally register clients' domain names for them and then invoice them annually for the renewal. Makes it easier for them although you could give them the option of doing it themselves.
    2. A contract is always advisable to avoid problems down the line. Google "web design contract template" to get an idea of what to put in there
    3. Payment - I normally ask for 50% up front and the rest on completion
    4. I normally don't stipulate the number of changes allowed as some changes are easy and straightforward whereas others throw the whole project upside down. I'd stipulate that changes are included within reason but where they require more than x amount of hours they will be invoiced separately
    5. Depends on how you are set up. You might want to set yourself up as a business and take out a business account under the name of your business. Looks more professional and means that they can make cheques out to your business name.
    6. Definitely a sketchpad and make sure it comes with a pencil. Depending on how much you know about the project up front you can bring some "mood boards" to start a discussion on look and feel of the project
    7. Prepare lots of questions which allow you to clarify their requirements. Most clients require help defining what it actually is they want.

Good luck with it!

Jitse

Member #
    it's good if you print a copy of the contract or checklist along

Remove Ads