Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: What's important in a freelance work environment?

Member #

What's important in a freelance work environment?

Hello!
    I'm Vasily, co-founder of Workshop55. I am interested in learning about the needs of talented web designers and developers, and what they value in an online work environment. Here are a few points that I believe are important:

Community and collaboration. Groups like this exist because mutual interests can lead to mutual gain. A freelance platform should reflect this by allowing workers to communicate and share ideas with each other—especially when it comes to teaming up on projects.

Equal conversation. Though it's the employers who give us opportunities to make a living, the "boss versus subordinate" mentality is a bit outdated. We want our clients to trust us, and the best way to achieve this is to (a) impress clients with our work, and (b) have an effective system in which a client can comment on a finished product without completely overthrowing our expertise.

Self-improvement and self-expression. The way we carry ourselves as freelancers is more important than money. For a web service, money is the fuel, not the engine. What powers a career forward is a combination of self-improvement and knowing that, when we improve, employers will notice it and give us more opportunities to express our talents.

In a certain sense, we at Workshop55 believe that the ideal freelance platform more closely resembles a "club" rather than a laboring work environment—a place where professionals like yourselves can interact, find consistent projects, and impress clients with work that you're passionate about.

What do you think? What's important to you when it comes to finding projects and building relationships with clients?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Bullsh*t...and more accurately, the absence thereof.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Come on!
    You supposed to be a moderator and not spammer.

I have asked normal questions that we address by our project and the only thing you could express was a Bullsh*t word?
    I do not think you know anything about the topic because if you would you probably ask a good question or make a good comment.

Thanks a lot.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You want me to expand on that comment? Okay, I can do that.

Here's what I meant...if I'm in a meeting or talking on the phone with a potential client and the client starts spitting out corporate buzzwords such as "we need a website that will adequately reflect our core competencies and adapt to the ever-changing paradigms of the global marketplace", I know that client is so unbelievably clueless and full of crap that (s)he isn't worth dealing with for the aggravation and headache. I also won't deal with managers who come from a "sales background" (translation: trained in the fine art of screwing people over while making it sound like they're giving water to desert wanderers and believing their own bullsh*t). I deal with people that talk about their businesses the way they talk about their children, their families, or other things they're legitimately interested in. i don't deal with automatons.

Speaking of spam, I let you post your initial post and left it alone when I normally wouldn't because I believe there's a space for an oDesk or Freelancer.com competitor that isn't a pure race to the bottom and doesn't allow just anyone in. I thought you might have had a chance to be that service. On the other hand, you've done exactly what I'm talking about...you've written wonderful, flowing masterpieces of borderline political rhetoric and told us what we wanted under the false pretense of "conversation". You also didn't understand at least one of the questions that I asked. So you're really not any better than an oDesk or a Freelancer.com. It's the same nonsense. Just a bit cheaper.

If you want to prove me wrong, then come at me as if you understand my questions and comments rather than giving me a training binder answer and expecting me to swallow it. I'll ask this question again to give you a second and final chance.

Why are you limiting yourself to specific areas of web design and development? You list four areas, none of which deal with any custom web work. I don't see anything for specific programming languages or frameworks (e.g. PHP, ASP.net, Ruby on Rails, Java); the most difficult positions to fill, and I use that term loosely, would be the "Wordpress and Popular CMS Developer" positions.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    That's good that you explained your position. I really appreciate that.
    Ok let's speak simple and straightforward language.

a) We are not just another freelance marketplace. There are plenty of them so it would be extremely stupid to go that direction.
    b) We think about the niche we know very well: small business. And there we focus on. Those guys usually do not know anything about web or internet except they “need to do something” there. So we want to help those guys and connect them to the right people who can help them (designers, developers, SEO guys, SMM guys, etc.)
    c) Why web design and web development as our primary focus? Simply because small business owners kind of know where to get other services (legal, accounting, etc.). Web and internet is where they are usually lost (52% of them do not have a website!) It's 2014 now and majority do not even have a website!
    d) In terms of custom web work I can say that majority of small biz have a budget around 1-2-3 thousand dollars for a website including design, development and sometimes content. So you can't speak about Ruby or Java... In this case you can speak only PHP and popular and simple to manage open source CMS. Basically simple WordPress, Drupal or Majento websites are enough for many of restaurant owners, private real estate agents or simple online stores...
    e) You can say ok, but what is wrong with big hiring sites like Elance? The answer is simple - try to post a project there when you do not know anything about web development. On average you get about 100 offers ranging from 1$ per hour to $50 with unclear total project cost, unclear how to compare the offers, many of which would probably be scam... That is why based on our research only 10% of business owners go to those places to hire someone. That is why we created our project.

We check the background of workers before we connect them to a client. We give a client a planning tool and some basic info so a client is more or less prepared for a conversation with a contractor.
    In return to make a life of workers better and make them stay with us and not move projects out of the system (as many people on Elance or Freelancer.com do) we do a lot for them in return:
    1) Pre-approved projects. We only invite you to real, pre-checked projects with real businesses behind.
    2) No price wars. Before submitting a projects clients get a project plan with an average market estimates, so they roughly know what they need to spend before posting a project.
    3) Quality of competition. Usual competition level n our project is about 10 offers per project. Your offer will be among worthy workers as you are, not hundreds "any kind" of workers.
    4) Fair fee. You never pay anything until you got paid. You pay us only for projects we introduced you to. Our commission is flat and only 7%. If a client continues with you with another project, it is your achievement, not ours, so in this case enjoy the safety of work and payments for free.

So we believe that honest relationship between a client and a freelancer is the only thing that can lead to a good website. We do not have 1000s of projects yet but we have about 20-30 projects per week. And we do not need millions of freelancers but we need good ones to work with good clients.

Hope I have addressed your concerns.
    Thanks a lot,
    Vasily.

Member #
    I simple sentences, freelance environment is quite interested and whatever client gives you task you have to complete. It is a good way of learning too....

Remove Ads