Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Is it possible to send an encrypted email to a person who you have had no correspondence or contact with beforehand, so that only that person will be able to decrypt and read the message?

Basically, if a business has a new client and they want to send the client an encrypted email, is it possible? Or does the client need to set something up first of all?

I am looking at this from two possible points of view:
    1. Sending from an email client - e.g Outlook or Outlook Express.
    2. Sending the email from a web site.

I have a client who has the following requirement:
    "Security of e-mails and other documents.... the truth is that all of my e-mails sent and received need to be secure as they will often carry personal data."

What would you tell them? Thanks.

Member #
    I'd tell them not to send personal data in an email. Especially if it's the first correspondence, and it's not encrypted. You could look into a subscription to a secure email service. A quick google brought up www.zixcorp.com, which provides a service called zixmail. It looks like it will encrypt your email, and send a password via email to the recipient. The recipient needs to log in to a secure server to view your original message.

For the first correspondence to a potential customer, this seems like an inconvienence. But if they need to send a lot of encrypted email, this may be a solution.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I use Thunderbird for email, and it has an option under new message>options>security>encrypt this message that OE/Outlook probably have, but be forwarned, if it can be encrypted by just anyone.. it can also be decrypted by just anyone, so it's really not "secure", it just takes a minute more to figure it out. Email is wishy-washy with all security aspects.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    You also may want to look into Hushmail.com. I used to use them years ago when they were free. If I remember correctly you both will need a hushmail.com account to send encrypted e-mail to one another.

I just looked over their website and it looks like they are still free. Also looks like they now have an Instant Messenger (Hush Messenger) that can send secure messages.

"Hushmail is the World's premier free, secure web-based email and document storage system, featuring transparent, end-to-end 2048 bit encryption!"

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    There's gotta be an email client out there with PGP encryption.

Looks like you can get some free PGP tools at:
    http://www.pgp.com/products/freeware.html

However for the business, they'll have to purchase a business license.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Basically however, there is no way to send an encrypted email to someone you have never had contact with before.

The person needs to set something up at their end first of all.

JR
    Member #
    Are you not looking for this in Outlook?...

Tools --> Options --> Security tab --> Encrypt contents and attachments for outgoing messages.
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Originally posted by Stevio
    Basically however, there is no way to send an encrypted email to someone you have never had contact with before.

The person needs to set something up at their end first of all.
    Correct. You CAN send them encrypted email, however, without previous contact, how are they supposed to decrypt it?

Check this out, news came out today:
    PGP Introduces Network E-Mail Encryption Software
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads