Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By m3n0tu18
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Whats your current web development deployment strategy?

Member #
    Liked
    264 times

Whats your current web development deployment strategy?

I'm interested in knowing what other peoples website deployment strategy and programs used are. Mine is currently

ANT Build scripts to:
    - Minify CSS and JS (AKA Preflight)
    - Allow a dry run to the server with RSync (to help get an idea on what files are being published)
    - Deploy the whole website from your local file system or Git Repo to the live server
    - Settings for Dev, Staging and Proofing as well as Live (ask me if you don't know what they are)
    - Clean the .build folder (used in case old files were to be transfered up)
    - The ability to backup and restore your whole website and databases

Netbeans to:
    - To quickly develop the website / application
    - Organise your project
    - Test on a browser of your choice where you make a change and it instantly happens live on the browser

Vagrant or Laravel to:
    - Deploy to a DEV test environment

Full DEV to outside environment to:
    - Show clients what the site is going to look like while sitting on my servers.

Sourcetree to:
    - Set up git local network repo's
    - Branch off of the master branch to work on an issue
    - Merging and tracking the data.

Redmine Ticket system to:
    - Keep a full track and time of issues/features/bugs etc to do with the web project.
    - Allow you and your client to keep a consistent logged ticket correspondence (IE: They raise the issue, you work on it and re assign ticket to them, they close issue)

Just a few bits and pieces of my development environment.

Love to know what you guys environments are. Its quite intriguing actually, especially TheGAMES :P

-Marc
    sasha_bolcina likes this.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's not that complicated. Then again, it doesn't need to be. It really varies depending on the client, but the general environment is this:

Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 for Web/VS Express for Desktop 2013 to develop the site/application
    My own dev server set up here, with RAID1 and Dropbox as an SVN...I pay $100/year for the upgrade since I use more than 2GB anyway, so there's no point installing anything else
    Nothing really to minify CSS/JS, although I do plan on building something at some point...since most of my CSS/JS is hand-coded, it's really not worth much to me to do that

FileZilla to upload to a portion of my server or the client's server for dev/testing purposes...in the case of my server, it also has RAID1 and a third hard drive that is automatically backed up to every 12 hours

My own custom time tracker that lets me track/bill hours, with an application that generates/emails the bills once a month; takes about 5 minutes to generate the bills on the fly as RTF files and email them to each client
    Email/phone for issues; tried a ticket system and none of my clients ever used it, so it was pointless

I'm not big on using a lot of tools myself. I would rather allocate resource to the projects using the tools I have. But that's me. I don't think I work like other people. I catered my process to my clients and the way they operate, not the other way around.
    sasha_bolcina and m3n0tu18 like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads