Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Which way of working do you think is better - Freelance or Employee?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freelance

1 100.00%
  • Employee

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Freelancers and Employees Attention! Important! Help needed!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Freelancers and Employees Attention! Important! Help needed!

Hi everyone, i need at least one employed web developer and one freelance web developer to help me.

I am an 18 year old student and i have applied for a web development course in university. I live in the UK and i am doing something called an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), where i need create a 5000 word essay to answer one question. My question is "Which way of working is better for a web developer - Freelance or Employee?" and as part of my essay i will need to conduct some research, so i decided to post threads on forums like these as well as contacting individual web developers. I would like at least one employed and one freelance web developer to answer these questions - the answers being not too brief and relatively detailed

When you were deciding which path to take (Freelance or Employee). Which factors did you consider?

What do you think of your chosen path? Did you think you chose correctly?

If you had the choice to change from Freelance to Employee/Employee to freelance, would you do it? Why?

Which do you think is better for a web developer - Freelance or Employee? Why?

It would be appreciated as this is important to me. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Are you looking for developers or designers? Is it actual web programming or is it some conflated BS term like "front end development"?

Or...to put it another way...put a link to the course description in question and we can go from there. I'm a mod, so I can grant permission like this. Power is awesome.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    I assume this paper is a requirement to entering the university of your choice.

I am not a developer but there are a few here well qualified to answer your questions. On the other hand, I am a non-traditional student at a local university in my area, probably the oldest on campus.

Getting this information from people actually in this field is a good idea. You will need enough background to show their qualifications and you will need to cite them as your references. Cite.com will help you get it right. Cite all your sources and quotations.

I would personally advise you also research at least two authoritative sources books, periodicals, white papers, etc. Can you use the university's library the librarian can be a big help here. Are you still in secondary school? Your adviser can also help you or your local library.

And spell check everything plus have someone else edit your paper you don't want grammar or spelling errors.

Best of luck.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Are you looking for developers or designers? Is it actual web programming or is it some conflated BS term like "front end development"?

Or...to put it another way...put a link to the course description in question and we can go from there. I'm a mod, so I can grant permission like this. Power is awesome.
    I am looking for mainly developers, but i do not mind having web design skills too. well doesn't matter if it is web programming or front end web development, as long as the person who is responding to my question is a freelance or employee web developer. Who either both designs and developers websites from scratch, or just develop websites and add more code to it.

Here is the course

https://www.bradfordcollege.ac.uk/co...plica-sep-2014

Sorry for the late reply

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the advice

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, kid...I'm going to answer your survey questions because this is clearly a legitimate request on your part, and because I want to help you out. But before I help you out by answering the survey, I'm going to help you out even more by telling you something that almost no one else would because most people don't have the experience, the knowledge, or the stones to say it. Fortunately in your case, I happen to have all three.

None of what I'm about to say is your fault, either. The party to blame is Bradford College. That course outline is a masterpiece of bulls**t.

They have gone to great lengths to sell you a course that in all likelihood will teach you nothing practical that you could learn on your own. If you take that course, you will probably be better served taking the cost of that course, converting it to pence (since it's British) and flushing the coins down the toilet one at a time. It's that bad.
    Your training on the practical aspect of the course will be substantiated by theoretical work, which will aid your understanding and allow you to progress more effectively.
    This is absolute nonsense. Theoretical work will in no way help you with practical application. It's called theoretical work for a reason...you need to test the theory. Until then, it's theoretical and of at best marginal use in the real world.
    In level 5, you will begin to focus largely on the implementation of Internet based solutions, using problem solving techniques and knowledge of theoretical sources.
    Really? You're going to learn "Internet based solutions" in a web programming course? WHO KNEW?

See previous comment for theoretical sources.
    Concepts and theories that are presented through lectures are then explored and developed during tutor led tutorials and student led seminars. Case studies and interactive Workshops are also implemented to aid learning, and there is a strong focus on Personal Development Planning, which aims to prepare you for employment and consider ethical, social and legal issues which can face the computer professional.
    So you're pretty much going to listen to some guy who probably has never built a website that has succeeded in his life babble away about nothing, do the real work on your own, and pay for the privilege. I love the "Personal Development Planning" part as well; what does that even mean? What "social, ethical and legal issues face the computer professional" that are somehow unique to "the computer professional"? That's just nonsense

In other words, you're pretty much buying a degree and wasting time on next to nothing until you're assessed as being worthy of the degree. Be aware of that upfront..Maybe if they listed the programming languages and techniques you'd be learning, I'd take this a lot more seriously, but for now it's just a Mickey Mouse course designed for the pseudo-intellectual.

Now, the answers to the survey questions:

1) Freelance developer. I considered working on my own, the lack of employment opportunities in web firms at the time (1999), and the fact that I don't respond well to being told what to do and to blindly accept them. I like to think and I like to solve things. Just let me do what I need to do and try, and stay the hell out of my way unless I need some help, in which case I'll ask and probably not get it.

I'm also not a "team player", since a "team player" is the bitch who gets stuck doing the real work while at least one other member doesn't pull his/her weight.

2) Not for a second. See reasons above. I also work from home. I like the commute.

3) Depends on you, your circumstances, and your personality. If you're able to work independently and can motivate yourself, go freelance. If you need structure, teams and/or job stability, go the employer route.
    delstu likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    The Game is one of those here well qualified to answer your questions as well as evaluate the schools offerings. After reading his post I just had to follow the link you provided and found a lot of "information" or lack thereof. I read through a lot of content that actually says nothing useful. Why are they requiring you to write a 5000 word essay when they cannot even write a useful description of what they offer. There is nothing there. What, if anything are they actually teaching. Could be anything from basic HTML or Dreamweaver, neither of which is very useful today by themselves.

I would either forget them or ask them to be more transparent in their intentions. And the classes are not even taught by Bradford College but is "Delivered in partnership with Teesside University." Sounds like an online school offered through junior colleges.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Okay, kid...I'm going to answer your survey questions because this is clearly a legitimate request on your part, and because I want to help you out. But before I help you out by answering the survey, I'm going to help you out even more by telling you something that almost no one else would because most people don't have the experience, the knowledge, or the stones to say it. Fortunately in your case, I happen to have all three.

None of what I'm about to say is your fault, either. The party to blame is Bradford College. That course outline is a masterpiece of bulls**t.

They have gone to great lengths to sell you a course that in all likelihood will teach you nothing practical that you could learn on your own. If you take that course, you will probably be better served taking the cost of that course, converting it to pence (since it's British) and flushing the coins down the toilet one at a time. It's that bad.

This is absolute nonsense. Theoretical work will in no way help you with practical application. It's called theoretical work for a reason...you need to test the theory. Until then, it's theoretical and of at best marginal use in the real world.

Really? You're going to learn "Internet based solutions" in a web programming course? WHO KNEW?

See previous comment for theoretical sources.

So you're pretty much going to listen to some guy who probably has never built a website that has succeeded in his life babble away about nothing, do the real work on your own, and pay for the privilege. I love the "Personal Development Planning" part as well; what does that even mean? What "social, ethical and legal issues face the computer professional" that are somehow unique to "the computer professional"? That's just nonsense

In other words, you're pretty much buying a degree and wasting time on next to nothing until you're assessed as being worthy of the degree. Be aware of that upfront..Maybe if they listed the programming languages and techniques you'd be learning, I'd take this a lot more seriously, but for now it's just a Mickey Mouse course designed for the pseudo-intellectual.

Now, the answers to the survey questions:

1) Freelance developer. I considered working on my own, the lack of employment opportunities in web firms at the time (1999), and the fact that I don't respond well to being told what to do and to blindly accept them. I like to think and I like to solve things. Just let me do what I need to do and try, and stay the hell out of my way unless I need some help, in which case I'll ask and probably not get it.

I'm also not a "team player", since a "team player" is the bitch who gets stuck doing the real work while at least one other member doesn't pull his/her weight.

2) Not for a second. See reasons above. I also work from home. I like the commute.

3) Depends on you, your circumstances, and your personality. If you're able to work independently and can motivate yourself, go freelance. If you need structure, teams and/or job stability, go the employer route.
    Thanks for the additional information but have you had a look at their modules? Under the title "Modules Covered" as those are topics that they will actually cover. Because i have visited their open day and asked lots and lots of questions that is explicitly related to web development and design and they do say that they will teach what i require to actually become a web developer. But i did have some doubt in my mind because their online description is not up-to-scratch and understand your concern, so i will send a very serious e-mail after this for more detail about this course and how this will benefit me.

and thanks for answering my questions
    Last edited by Saleem786; Jan 14th, 2015 at 05:34 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu View Post
    The Game is one of those here well qualified to answer your questions as well as evaluate the schools offerings. After reading his post I just had to follow the link you provided and found a lot of "information" or lack thereof. I read through a lot of content that actually says nothing useful. Why are they requiring you to write a 5000 word essay when they cannot even write a useful description of what they offer. There is nothing there. What, if anything are they actually teaching. Could be anything from basic HTML or Dreamweaver, neither of which is very useful today by themselves.

I would either forget them or ask them to be more transparent in their intentions. And the classes are not even taught by Bradford College but is "Delivered in partnership with Teesside University." Sounds like an online school offered through junior colleges.
    Actually, the university does not ask me for the 5000 word essay. It is a part of my school work and my teachers advised me to do the 5000 word just in case i won't have enough UCAS points to meet the requirement for the courses i applied to. But this course only requires 180, which i have enough of, i tried to tell them that, but they persuaded me -_-

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Saleem786 View Post
    Thanks for the additional information but have you had a look at their modules? Under the title "Modules Covered" as those are topics that they will actually cover. Because i have visited their open day and asked lots and lots of questions that is explicitly related to web development and design and they do say that they will teach what i require to actually become a web developer. But i did have some doubt in my mind because their online description is not up-to-scratch and understand your concern, so i will send a very serious e-mail after this for more detail about this course and how this will benefit me.

and thanks for answering my questions
    Yes, I did. The big problem that I noticed right off the top is that they don't tell you what languages you'll be learning and how. HTML? CSS? Javascript? ASP? ASP.NET? PHP? Ruby on Rails?

The question I have with regards to your question is a two-parter: did you ask general questions, and did they give general/stock answers? The real measure of how well something is going to work out for you comes in how specific the answers are to your questions. If I tell you that my course is going to enhance your cranial capacity to enhance your web development and design skills to adapt to the 21st century paradigms of a global marketplace, that's a stock answer that tells you absolutely nothing. If I tell you that you'll learn PHP and a few APIs (e.g. PayPal, Google Maps) because several business websites require them, that's much more useful.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's better if Stu and I and others tell you this now than if you went there and found you didn't get what you wanted to get.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads