Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

My procrastination recipe

I'm researching procrastination and instead of creating a boring survey that probably no one would participate in, I thought that I could create a short post that would have more chances to engage you in a conversation. Any feedback regarding procrastination is appreciated!

I wasn't born a good procrastinator, I (read it with pride) became one. And I had to work really hard! It's not like I snapped my fingers and kaboom the feeling of procrastination was suddenly there. It doesn't work that way, right? At least not from the beginning of the journey to the mastery of procrastination. I had to come up with a certain recipe to make me feel like not doing something, even though I knew I should do it, because finishing it would mean lots of things to me. From peace of my mind, being able to enjoy any kind of entertainment on 100% to having a healthy image about myself and therefore being able to accomplish more with my life. But who wants that? Bueh! Definitely not past-me. So what was my recipe for procrastination? What games did I play with myself? Well, I made sure that:

1. I was picturing the whole 50 hour project is right in front of me. Doing that made me feel overloaded. Check!
    2. I wanted to make the project my masterpiece, it had to be perfect, flawless, absolutely spectacular. Doing that made me feel overloaded. Check!
    3. I scheduled an unreasonable amount of time out of my day to work on my masterpiece (for example 5 hours each day, no excuses). Doing that made me feel stressed. Check!
    4. I was working on that project just by myself and myself only. Doing that made me feel overloaded, but important. Check!
    5. I was constantly focusing on the amount of work that needs to be put into the project. Doing that made me feel overloaded. Check!
    6. I was always waiting for the perfect time to start working on the project. Doing that made me feel stressed. Check!
    7. the project didn't have any meaning to me at all. Doing that made me feel careless. Check!
    8. the circumstances and my work environment had to be perfect as well - no unfinished emails, no dust on my shelves, no half-full garbage bag and no unread posts on my favorite forums. Doing that made me feel super busy and somewhat productive. Check!
    9. I was constantly aware of what I could have been doing that would have been more interesting. Doing that made me feel distracted. Check!

So, there you have it. My recipe for procrastination. Depending on my mood, taste or other circumstances, I would mix up the ingredients a little bit. You know, sometimes you want to feel more stressed, sometimes you want to feel overloaded and sometimes you just can't decide and therefore you want to feel stressed and overloaded at the same time. Variety is the best spice of life, isn't it?

Now it's your turn. What's your recipe for procrastination? Which techniques do you find helpful? Share them! Maybe there's a better/quicker way to achieve mastery in procrastination.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Im not sure how you want me to reply? With the same sarcasm as you or not? I dont see how any of this would help with your research either?

Ill just say: procrastination costs me money, and i hate wasting money.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Thanks for your comment, Vapr_Arts!

Well, I didn't want to limit anyone's reply with any guidelines, but if you're willing to reply to my questions, then I'm more than happy to share them.

I'm interested specifically in:
    • How do you feel about procrastination? What comes to your mind when you think about it?
    • How does procrastination affect you?
    • What does it cost you?
    • How would your life be different if you weren't procrastinating? Is there a goal that you'd like to achieve and procrastination prevents you from achieving it?
    • What have you tried to overcome procrastination? And why do you think it didn't work?

The more specific you are, the more happier I'll be. If you don't feel good about posting your answers here, please PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Ill answer but i feel as though your questions are bias and you seem to have the notion it is something you cannot overcome? To answer the first question i believe its about being lazy.

I procrastinated throughout high school without recognizing i was. I bullshitted my way through and somehow managed to squeak by. It wasn't until i began working for myself that i saw it. Like i said i was wasting time and my time is money. In high school i didn't see this because money wasn't involved. Once i noticed it i stopped.. I sat myself down n did my work. It was somewhat easy to overcome in that situation. I think it has to do with passion. People (or maybe I'm alone on this) procrastinate tasks they would rather not do. Once i was doing something i loved the unintentional urge to procrastinate stopped. I wake up n have fun doing what i love. Main reason i went back to school to allow myself to do what i love the rest of my life(if im lucky) . Either way once i noticed my procrastination it was easy to call myself out on it. So when i get the urge to put something off i redirect that urge to getting the job done to allow myself to get back to what i love. Ive always been strong willed, to the point where after smoking a pack a day for 4.5 years i woke up one morning and decided i wanted to quit.. Gave my last pack to a friend and haven't smoked tobacco in almost over 5years..

So maybe im lucky? Either way i was able to overcome my need to put things off with a need to get back to what i want to be doing.

Its not that i don't procrastinate anymore i just don't allow myself to do it once i get the urge to.

Member #
    Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it.

The procrastination used to be a giant issue for me. Fortunately I got to a point where I was sick of it and started looking for reasons why I procrastinated and ways to deal with it. I'm seeing people mentioning their frustration from procrastination all over the internet and it got me curious why it's such a big issue for such a large group of people.

The questions aren't bias, they were supposed to help me understand what's going on in people's heads, how they think about it, what they focus on and more importantly what they have tried in the past and why they didn't succeed.

It's fantastic that you have a strong will and self-reflection which allows you to notice what's going on and then take appropriate steps. Congratulations on quitting smoking, I think that's huge.

I understand that if you do what you love, then there's no urge to procrastinate, since your brain links pleasure with the work you do. But how you deal with getting done things that don't give you that much pleasure while doing them? Can you think of any pattern that goes through your mind? It doesn't have to be a conscious decision at that time, but I'd imagine that you might be aware of what the consequences of not doing the task that is in front of you might mean for you later, if you choose to procrastinate. At least this was huge for me - to imagine what I could gain (peace of mind, good feeling about myself, getting more done etc.) by doing the task without any delays and what would I have to deal with later on if I was to procrastinate (feeling of regret, bad self image etc.).

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I mentioned the questions being bias because they all insinuate that procrastination is not overcome. Even in your explanation you mention "and why they didn't succeed" this isnt really a problem too much. Just something i thought id point out. In surveys you should try and be as general as possible so you do not lead your participants to an answer but rather leave it open for them to interpret themselves.

When im doing tasks that are not so enjoyable for myself i just remember once these are done im either A: getting paid or B: able to get back to doing what i love. That use to be something i had to explain to myself as i was doing the tasks but now is more of a subconscious thought.

Member #
    I understand what you mean. It seems that I should have been more transparent about what I'm trying to achieve. In the end I'm interested in people who are either struggling with procrastination to the point that it pisses them off or either were at that point and overcame it. I thought that people who enter this discussion (or better participate) would be from those groups.

Ok, so you're focusing on the pleasurable thing at the end of the process. I agree it takes some time at first, but the more you do it, the more automatic it becomes.

Thanks for sharing, Vapr_Arts.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    haha, very awesome thread, and very relevant to a lot of people I would say, I had a good laugh because this is me, unfortunately.

Where would I be if I didn't procrastinate as much?
    Well, I wouldn't be on this forum feeling like i'm 'connecting' with other developers.

What does it cost me?
    A whole lot of self worth, lol and also 10 years of my life so far.

How do I feel about it?
    I hate it, it takes a lot of discipline to get get out of it but when you have momentum in the work your doing there is a great deal of satisfaction.

Remove Ads