Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Student wanting to be a web developer - what do you think of this university course?

Hi everyone, i have received an offer from Bradford College, it is a college it is partnered with Teeside university and provides university courses. I want to become a web developer but i want to have some opinions on what you think, is it suitable? Here is the course:

https://www.bradfordcollege.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/internetapplica-sep-2014

[EDITED by TheGAME1264: I put a working in link in. At least I think this is what he wanted.]

I know i discussed this with other people in this forum. but i want more opinions.
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Jan 26th, 2015 at 10:08 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Is it that you want more opinions or are you looking for someone to defend your idea that this is a good place? Game and Stu both pointed out great examples to the lack of confidence they have with the program. I haven't taken the time to investigate as deeply as they both have but both of them gave me a good indication that this program is probably isn't a good choice.

Have you taken a look at any alternatives? Considered getting a degree in anything else that would closely relate to web design and would allow you to learn programming on your own and utilizing it into your work?

For example. I really love programming. I am overly fascinated with the whole concept of creating things from code. My college however does not offer the type of program i would benefit from. Granted i would still be a Graphic Designer first I did consider switching. I am also not really fond of math and the college i am transferring to requires quite a bit of math to finish the computer programming degree. Because of the situation i am in i chose to learn it on my own and i will still be able to apply it to work i find while working as a graphic designer.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Broken link - "The page you were looking for was not found. Try using search to find content that you are interested in."
    I will not make further comments since you are looking for opinions from others. Well, one thing. At least they have rewritten the content so it no longer looks like it is written by a spammer.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by delstu; Jan 26th, 2015 at 08:30 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I wouldn't go there for web anything after seeing their site. Kinda the blind leading the blind there. If you want to go the college route for web dev, find a good Computer Science program that has web dev courses as part of the curriculum. While you're doing that, spend a hefty portion of your free time studying how web dev is different from application dev, and build a few projects along the way.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Saleem, can I ask you what course you chose to take? I'm also learning quite a bit of web development, but don't have the time to go to college for it, so I'm teaching myself through books, forum, online coding sites (especially http://www.w3schools.com/) and YouTube videos. I've created my first website a while back using http://www.1and1.com/website-builder, which was very simple to use and involved no programming, but if you want to do more advanced stuff these website builders are quite limited, so I've learned quite a bit of simple web coding and managed to restructure the site. Now it already looks a lot better, but there are still quite a few improvements which I want to do. I'm also planning to create an online store now, but I'll start with that project in a few months.

I really feel that with web dev a lot of it just comes down to learning by doing. I found it quite hard at the beginning, mostly because knowing where to start is confusing, but once you keep on practising you get into the specific way of thinking that you need for coding and web dev. I'm still quite new in web dev, but so far I found that just trying things out with an own project is the most effective way.

Remove Ads