Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By SandMan8

Thread: Please help me for school, an interview about your web design job

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Please help me for school, an interview about your web design job

If you could please answer these 20 questions for me? It's for career exploration class and I'm going for web design. If you want you can e-mail or PM me the answers so it's not public, it's only for class. Thanks.

1. What made you decide to pick this career path? Are you glad you did?
    2. Have you held any other jobs that helped you get this job?
    3. What position did you start out at your current employer?
    4. How many hours do you work each day? Are you on call?
    5. What are the best parts of your job?
    6. What are the downsides to the job?
    7. If there was one thing you could change about your job duties what would it be and why?
    8. What does a typical day at work consist of for you?
    9. How much time is spent working with users doing web design vs. web development?
    10. How do you handle multiple deadlines?
    11. Do you work alone or on a team?
    12. How important is hardware knowledge when it comes to web development?
    13. How much documentation goes into the work you are performing?
    14. What are the programming languages you prefer and why?
    15. What size websites have you worked on in the past?
    16. What are a few of your favorite development tools and why?
    17. What is the hardest change to have to adapt to in this industry?
    18. What are the 3 most important traits in your opinion to be a successful web developer?
    19. What is one thing you wish someone would have told you prior to getting in the IT Industry?
    20. If you had to do anything differently during college, what would that be?
    Last edited by SandMan8; Feb 25th, 2015 at 03:46 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Design or development? The questions pertain to both.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Web design or development, either one.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, I'll bite.

1) I didn't pick it as such. It fell into my lap. I was one of the few people who knew how to build a web page at all back in the day (1999) so it was pretty easy for me.

Yes, I'm glad it did fall in my lap, though.

2) No.

3) Self-employed.

4) Varies. Anywhere between 4 and 12, depending on my mood that day, what I have to or want to do with my kids, and what there is to do that day among other things. Usually averages out around 7-8.

5) I work from home, I'm in control of my situation, and I work with people and not for them.

6) There aren't any in my case. Whenever a downside shows up, I eliminate it.

7) There isn't one.

8) There's no such thing as "typical". What I do varies. The only constant is the inconsistency.

9) Very little vs. most of my time. I'm also a developer, not a designer.

10) I prioritize based on client and the quantity and/or difficulty of the work. Clients I like working with more or whose work is harder I tend to do first, then I go down from there.

11) Alone.

12) Know the basics. If you can assemble most of a desktop you know enough.

13) Minimal. My code is self-documenting for the most part...at least it is for me. I'm not as concerned about others.

14) VB.net, then classic ASP. The "why" is "because I can do things with them most can't." Without going into great detail, I've built some rather unique stuff including a better version of WP (for me) in VB.net that comes with a unique spam/hack filter. It even trapped another WDF member of high standing.

15) Small, medium, large, extra large, and oversized. I've worked with solo outfits and I've worked with GM (horrible experience) and I've worked all points in between.

16) SQL Server, Visual Studio Express (it's an awfully named text editor), Colour Contrast Ratio Analyzer, not too many others. I keep my toolbox as minimal as possible. I use what I need to in order to get the job done.

17) There isn't one.

18) Independent thought, ability to apply knowledge to solve problems, and not blindly following what the herd does.

19) That it's a lot easier than people make it out to be for the most part.

20) I wouldn't have gone at all. Yes, I realize that's the exact opposite of what I'm supposed to say, but I wouldn't have gone at all. I'd have avoided the student debt trap, I'd have avoided the cult of post-secondary, and I wouldn't have gone at all. I've learned very little from the education system that I couldn't have learned myself and that applies to what I'm doing today.
    SandMan8 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey, thanks a lot. The interview was the most dreaded part by me and it you just made it one of the easiest. Thanks!!!!
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Awesome. Most people say my answers don't help. Glad they helped someone!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SandMan8 View Post
    If you could please answer these 20 questions for me? It's for career exploration class and I'm going for web design. If you want you can e-mail or PM me the answers so it's not public, it's only for class. Thanks.

1. What made you decide to pick this career path? Are you glad you did? I had an aptitude for programming
    2. Have you held any other jobs that helped you get this job? no
    3. What position did you start out at your current employer? ? programmers
    4. How many hours do you work each day? Are you on call? 11
    5. What are the best parts of your job? programming, delivering, a lot of negative
    6. What are the downsides to the job? managers, not enough staff, thankless
    7. If there was one thing you could change about your job duties what would it be and why? get mamagers who don't know **** about programming ot the way
    8. What does a typical day at work consist of for you? email answering, coding, jira write-ups, analysis, writing up what I do to boss
    9. How much time is spent working with users doing web design vs. web development? na
    10. How do you handle multiple deadlines? by laughing
    11. Do you work alone or on a team? on a team, but they are all cnts
    12. How important is hardware knowledge when it comes to web development? not much
    13. How much documentation goes into the work you are performing? little
    14. What are the programming languages you prefer and why? java, coaz I know ti
    15. What size websites have you worked on in the past? cms
    16. What are a few of your favorite development tools and why? NONE ITS ALL THE SAME
    17. What is the hardest change to have to adapt to in this industry? continual changes
    18. What are the 3 most important traits in your opinion to be a successful web developer? archtitecturally sound and experience
    19. What is one thing you wish someone would have told you prior to getting in the IT Industry? that it has a ceiling salary wise
    20. If you had to do anything differently during college, what would that be?
    wrote google.

Remove Ads