Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 2 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Advice on A.S. for Web Design

Member #

Advice on A.S. for Web Design

Hi, everyone.
    Can anybody give me a little advice? I am looking to become a web designer, with the possibility of learning some back-end stuff after I start working.
    I know that a lot of web designers are self-taught, and I may go that route, at least in part.
    Assuming, however that I am looking at a choice between several junior college Associates in Science degrees, however, which of the following programs do you think would be most useful in helping me to learn web design as it is done in the real world?

=========================================
    FIRST PROGRAM
    CGS 2820C Web dev and design
    CTS 1441 Database fundamentals
    COP 2801 Javascript fundamentals
    COP 2812 XML and Web Services
    COP 2842 Database Driven Websites Using PHP and MYSQL
    CGS 2172C E-Commerce Web Development
    GRA 2751C Visual Design for Web
    COP 2940 Web Dev Internship & Practicum

OPEN SOURCE
    COP 2800 Programming in Java
    COP 2805C Advanced Java Web Development
    COP 2806C Java Server Pages and Servlets
    COP 2841C Advanced Web Programming with CGI/Perl
    COP 2843 Advanced Programming in PHP

MICROSOFT
    COP 2360 Intro to C# Programming
    COP 2362C Advanced C# Programming
    COP 2823C Advanced MICROSOFT Web Development
    COP 2332 Introduction to Programming with Visual Basic .NET
    COP 2848C - Server Side Scripting with ASP.NET

I have to choose Open Source or Microsoft as a specialization with this one. I am far more inclined to go Open Source.

SECOND PROGRAM
    CGS 2820 Web Authoring -HTML
    CGS 1103 Project Management
    CGS 1871 Multimedia Authoring I
    CGS 2822 Web Site Creation
    CGS 2804 Vector Graphics Apps
    COP 2830 Scripting for the Websites
    CGS 2585 Desktop/Internet Publishing
    CGS 2786 Web 2.0 Apps
    CGS 2821 Graphics Design for Multimedia/Internet
    CGS 2876 Digital Audio/Video Design
    CGS 2827 Adv. Graphics Design
    CGS 2874 Multimedia Authoring II
    CGS 2877 Digital Animation Design
    CGS 2939 Int. Svcs. Tech. Capstone

This is a straight-up web design program.
    ==================================

THIRD PROGRAM
    CGS 2541 Database Design
    CGS 2820 Web Authoring -HTML
    CGS 2091 Information Technology Ethical Issues
    COP 2830 Scripting for Websites
    CGS 2822 Website Creation
    COP 2836 Database-driven web Programming: Server
    CTS 2440 Database Programming SQL
    CGS 2939 Capstone
    COP 2833 Database-driven web Programming: Client
    5 elective courses from CEN,CET,CGS,CIS,CNT,CTS

This is a back-end development program from the same school as the second program, with 15 credit hours dedicated to electives that I choose.

Thank you for your time

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you're looking strictly at design vs. development, #2 would appear on the surface to be the best option. #1 and #3 are more development-oriented, and #2 is more design-oriented.

Key word there: if. The reason it's a key word is that you're doing this to learn how to become a designer, not a developer. I would suggest to you that if you have any development ability or interest whatsoever to take the development courses more than the design courses. Designers are all but a dime a dozen; developers and coders are far more rare. In the real world, there's a lot more demand for people who actually have the ability to code and solve problems. If that's what you're looking for, then #1 on the surface is the best option.

Mind you, it's tough to evaluate based strictly off of course titles. What's the school? Where are the course outlines? (Yes, you may include links.)
    olorin12 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    As a design student myself i can backup what Game says about the over saturated design field. Even worst is that hobbyist think grabbing Ps and Ai make them designers so its not just people who graduate school you are competing with. Granted its easy to see who does and doesnt have an education in design, they are still out there.

I know you didnt ask for any advice on what career path you should go into but if i would have been told this first i may have a different major.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    olorin12 and TheGAME1264 like this.

Member #
    TheGAME1264, Vapr_Arts,
    Thanks for your input.

The more I learn about the field, the more I am interested in going for front-end development, with some back-up skills in design and back-end development.

The first program is from Polk State College. Their url is Polk State College ? Ready, Set?Soar! The url for the program is
    Program: Web Design and Development (Open Source), AS - Polk State College - Acalog ACMS?
    for the open source option,
    Program: Web Design and Development (Microsoft.NET Web Programming), AS - Polk State College - Acalog ACMS?
    for the Microsoft option.

The second and third programs are from Hillsborough Community College, Hillsborough Community College Home
    The programs are listed here: HCC Dale Mabry Campus : AS Programs
    The individual courses can be found here: https://www.hccfl.edu/catalog/2014-2...criptions.aspx
    if you feel like looking through them.

As far as the first program goes, would you go for the open source or Microsoft option? And is XML/XHTML going to be useful going forward? Also, the first program has an internship/practicum, which I see as a big bonus.

Thanks again for your time and advice.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, right off the top you should take Polk State off your list. The reason is very simple: they use tabular layouts (as in HTML tables). It's fairly common among ASP.net developers as most code samples, grids, etc. are based off of tables. However, an experienced and knowledgeable designer/developer will have long moved away from tabular layouts...and the vast majority of them would never have started with tabular layouts in the first place. Only a few of us were around when they were a necessary thing. That was about 10 years ago. They're rarely used now, and usually either by third party carts that are difficult to customize (e.g. CyberStrong eShop) or by people who just plain don't know what they're doing.

To be honest, I'm a little bummed about that one. Looked like they had the best development stuff overall.

Moving right along, and typing this as I see it, the exact same thing applies to Hillsborough.

Unfortunately, this puts you right back where you started. I'd give a slight edge to Polk for the practicum, but only because whoever you do your internship with might be able to help you "unlearn" everything Polk would teach you. I'd also give another edge to Polk because Polk High football rules and Al Bundy scored 4 touchdowns in one game. But as you can see, I'm really stretching to find a positive with either program.

To be blunt, if you go either route you're probably going to **** away your money. I'm actually glad for your own sake that you showed us now rather than learning a hard lesson later.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Is bummer.
    The thing is, I already have student debt, and I am more or less committed to getting some kind of degree, even if I go with a less than optimal program. If I simply drop out, I have no way of paying on the loans at the present time.

What's your opinion on this program?
    St. Petersburg College

Member #
    Or this certificate program?
    Daytona State College Catalog - 2014-2015

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If I had to pick between those four, I'd pick the Daytona State College one for three reasons: it will at least give you a grounding in ASP.net and PHP (in theory); the fees, other than textbooks, seem at least somewhat reasonable; and you'll get a grounding in some other things (e.g. computer repair) which for me at least have come in very handy when dealing with clients and may also serve as a plan B for employment if you can't get a job as a web designer.

Now, Daytona does use tables on that page...however, they only use tables to organize the grid of information related to the courses. That's kind of a grey area, and since they don't use them in other spots that I saw, I'd consider that "not optimal, but an acceptable use".

Member #
    TheGAME1264,

First off, with your comments on tables, are you talking about the college websites themselves and not necessarily the course materials? If so, are you operating on the assumption that the website is designed by the same people who teach these courses?
    Also, what is it about the Daytona State program that is better than the St. Petersburg program?
    Thank you again. Your input has been very helpful.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yes, I'm talking about the websites themselves. Usually bad habits like this translate into bad habits taught during courses. That doesn't necessarily mean the people who teach the courses also designed the website, but it does mean that they should be paying attention and know better.

I guess I wasn't overly clear the previous post, so let me try to clarify. The Daytona program offers things such as ASP.net and PHP, which are used...particularly the latter. The St. Petersburg program by comparison offers Java (not Javascript), which is rarely used and were it not for cell phone/app development would be completely phased out (I'm not even really sure about the latter since I'm not an app developer, but from what little I've seen they often make use of Java).

You'll also learn things such as how to repair a computer; trust me, if you build websites and are any good at it, someone will ask you to fix a computer at some point. There is no correlation other than "you know how to do one thing, so you must know how to do everything", but that's what people assume so you might as well be prepared for it.
    olorin12 likes this.

Remove Ads