Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By webliana

Thread: Thread for Search Engines that do not track you

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Thread for Search Engines that do not track you

This is for anyone determined to get away from advertisers and advertisement-based search engines. With privacy and intrusive corporations becoming more and more an issue on the internet I was thinking there should be constantly updated lists on forums where people can quickly access expanding lists of privacy respecting search engines.

DuckDuckGo:
    https://duckduckgo.com

StartPage:
    https://startpage.com - they have a new look coming here: https://new.startpage.com/eng/

ixQuick (yes same company as StartPage.com): https://ixquick.com - same deal with ixQuick, a new look here: https://new.ixquick.com/eng/

Blekko: blekko | search -
    Blekko does log personally identifiable information, but deletes it within 48 hours. You can disable the data collection entirely by enabling the SuperPrivacy setting. Blekko even lets you disable ads entirely.
    Note: To bring up settings for Blekko you may have to move your mouse cursor to the top of their website and then a drop down menu will appear. P.S. I'm starting to think Blekko has search results most comparable to my own Google searches. For instance, when I type a phrase in quotes, Belkko returns results with that exact phrase in an amount numerically similar to Google.

Mojeek: https://www.mojeek.com - based in the United Kingdom, seems to give more streamlined results but no image search, as of yet. Mojeek provides an attractive alternate search page here: https://www.mojeek.com/?img=1

Please feel free to add more search engines to this thread with the condition that they must not track their users. And please consider creating a similar post and posting it around the net on your favorite forums. Thanks.
    Last edited by duck444; Mar 22nd, 2015 at 08:53 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I just found a new private search engine today. It seems EpicBrowser has a search engine out:

Epic Search:
    https://www.epicsearch.in/ - Note concerning Epic's browser from their FAQ: "Should I log into Gmail when I use Epic?
    If you’re doing searches via Google in Epic, then we would strongly recommend you not log into Gmail while using Epic. Google’s new privacy policy allows it to aggregate your personal data across all its services. So if you’re logged into Gmail, then Google can track your searches."

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It doesn't matter to me whether they track my searches or not, but it's nice to know that there are options for me to use if I don't want my searches tracked.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LearnWebsiteDesign.com View Post
    It doesn't matter to me whether they track my searches or not, but it's nice to know that there are options for me to use if I don't want my searches tracked.

Thanks
    You're welcome. But remember, these advertisers are using your internet activity to manipulate what you see on the internet. They are forming a profile on you and contour your online experience to influence and take best advantage of your buying habits. They want to know who you are, where you are, what you like, where you go online, and what you search for so they can sell to you. Imagine being surrounded by people who claim to be your "friends" but who are all secretly only salespeople trying to constantly steer you in the direction of another purchase....All the while claiming they need all this information on you to present a "better online experience" or because "it's for your security."

Short true story:
    I just gave in two days ago after years of Gmail asking for my cell number "for better security" of my Gmail account and not an hour later I get an unsolicited phone call from a "web developer" site telling me that I asked for information (I ask for no such information) about web development, asking me prying questions about what I do, not to mention the phone call opened with "This call is being recorded for quality assurance"...So right off the bat, I know Google is giving my phone number to advertisers so they can make unsolicited recorded phone calls to me asking personal questions. Why? So they can add to their psychological profile on me in order to figure out exactly how to manipulate me like Pavlov's dog so I will buy on command. They really look at this like a science and they are using people's internet activity to find that magic formula to give them access to people's impulses. That all said, I have finally seen the light. I have been contemplating it for years but within a matter of days my opinion of search engines that track has done a complete 360. I'm off Google search entirely in favor of the alternatives posted in this thread and I've found an inexpensive but private, secure and, most importantly, ad free paid email provider and I'm in the process of closing the primary Gmail account with my name forever.

I don't want to tell you what to do but you can't say it doesn't matter. It matters if companies are trying to train and monitor you like their dog.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    A nice minimalist, no-frill, no track, anonymous search:

https://anonymousengine.com/

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Well, I do see your point, but this is one of those discussions that can go on forever basically. My personal opinion is that I don't mind their gathering information, heck, anyone that keeps any kind of stats is gathering information at least in one way or another. The information may not be as personalized, but there is always some kind of information gathered or else every company would pretty much be doing business blind folded. And yes, I know that the world around me is commercialized, that's why I don't open emails that I haven't asked for, I don't answer phone calls from people that I don't know, etc. It is also my responsibility to myself to not be sold any (and every) item when I walk into a store with any kind of salesmen.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Found another private search engine with web, image, video and news search at https://private.me/

Member #
    But many people don't use these search engines.Google has more than 67% of market share than any other search engine.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by duck444 View Post
    You're welcome. But remember, these advertisers are using your internet activity to manipulate what you see on the internet. They are forming a profile on you and contour your online experience to influence and take best advantage of your buying habits. They want to know who you are, where you are, what you like, where you go online, and what you search for so they can sell to you. Imagine being surrounded by people who claim to be your "friends" but who are all secretly only salespeople trying to constantly steer you in the direction of another purchase....All the while claiming they need all this information on you to present a "better online experience" or because "it's for your security."
    Couldn't agree more. For example, I really hate it when certain ads and banners follow me all over the web, just because I had a look at certain products or services. Thanks for sharing some alternative search sites with us, sure Google is much more convenient and personally I use it a lot, but it's always good to have the possibility of using anonymous search sites. I have used DuckDuckGo in the past
    duck444 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Found another one:

https://disconnect.me/search

Here is the direct link to their online search page: https://search.disconnect.me

And a little update on my progress since switching to using no track search engines:

I started using search engines like DuckDuckGo and Startpage seriously about a year ago. I'm still using them, predominantly, with occasional fall backs to the encrypted Google search if I'm having a difficult time finding something in DuckDuckGo, my main go-to search engine now.

I couldn't be happier with DuckDuckGo. I used DDG's cloud settings to save my settings so the search page looks and works exactly how I want it and makes it a pleasure to use. I can usually find everything I used to find in Google through DuckDuckGo. Also, the more I use DuckDuckGo, the more I realize it can find and do more than I thought. I like the feeling of getting by without Google most of the time and you start to realize after a while that a Google search may not really be better necessarily, just different, and what makes us think there are no real alternatives to Google is mostly hype. Being Google and tracking free makes you want to figure more ways to not rely on websites that track for everything you do online. I stopped using Google because of all the questions I kept getting when signing in every time to my old Gmail account. I knew those questions were not entirely for my security but to help advertisers develop a more complete profile on me in order to target me for ads better. When Google started to force users to have a Google+ page to post on YouTube, that was the last straw for me. I'm practically fully off Google search and I've opened a Protonmail account and other private mail accounts where I conduct the majority of my online email. I hope to be fully off of Gmail when Protonmail launches their mobile app.

I'm still in the process of transitioning all my online activity away from Google but I've been making steady progress without any sign I will have to revert back to using tracking websites. The options keep increasing so I only expect it to get easier. If there's anyone out there contemplating making the transition but feel too invested in Gmail to switch email providers, just do it. I had thousands of emails in my Gmail account when I switched. I forwarded all the emails I thought were important, one by one, over months, updated my contact info at the websites I needed to stay in contact with and left Gmail and third party advertisers to the crickets. I don't regret it one bit. It feels great and its kind of fun trying to avoid those third party advertisers. Like playing cat and mouse.
    Last edited by duck444; Aug 19th, 2015 at 06:11 AM.

Remove Ads