Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Buying new Mac, looking for some input

I'm looking to upgrade my computer, and I'm completely out of touch regarding computer specs. I'm looking into the MacBook Pros with retina (and possibly the iMac Retina), and I have no idea how much power I actually need. My current computer is a super old iMac that absolutely crawls for pretty much everything I do.

QUESTION:
    I was wondering if you guys could share the hardware specs that you've got, and how fast or slow you feel your machine handles what you do? I've been told to get the highest RAM possible, but other than that, I'd love to hear some input from you guys. If any of you happen to prefer the MacBook Pro over the iMac Retina, or vice versa, I'd love to hear your reasoning.

SOME BACKGROUND ON THE WAY I WORK (and what I put my computer through):
    When I design, I generally have Chrome with 20+ tabs open for references/inspiration, which tends to slow things down a lot. Would love to be able to have music playing in the background as well without it slowing down my computer, but I can live with using my iPhone for that if need be. I also tend to have Slack open, which could also cause things to slow down. Then... let's see, there are usually several Gmail chats and/or drafts of my notes open. Skype is usually open as well. I think that's about it.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Any new mac should work fine. I have an old 2009 Macbook Pro(i believe) and i am able to run everything i need.

Id avoid the retina display tho, and heres why. Majority of users do not have retina displays so most wont see what you see. Even worst they could be seeing something that looks horrible since you dont know how it will look on a non retina. If you design in a non retina it will look just as good on one with a retina, the opposite not so much.

This was the advice i got from multiple graphic designers as well as my design teacher. In my design class there were 2 retina iMacs and I can confirm their theory.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    I'll be buying a Thunderbolt display with the MacBook Pro if I go the laptop route, so I'll have both retina and non-retina displays for my work.

Member #
    Go with a laptop and a monitor if need be. 8 GB RAM is the sweet spot but for what I do the more the better. You probably don't want to have any processor less than a 2.4 ghz dual core intel i3. Again higher the better. for a graphics card get one with more than 1GB RAM.

Remove Ads