Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

What is a good laptop, or desktop for a beginning web designer.

Hi everyone, I am currently 19 and awaiting my course in Technical Web Design. It is a 6 month course, and I will have to live away from home, but most of the work will be done at the school, or at the place I am living, so super long battery life isn't important. what would be the best laptop in my price range? Which is $1000 and my preference is PC

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    What sort of programs are you going to be running on the laptop? What will you be doing in the classes exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The short answer is "it depends". It depends on where you live, whether you want to look new or refurbished (hint: refurbs often are built better and come cheaper, but you have to know what you're doing and looking for), who the big box retail players are, who the smaller stores are, and when you need it by.

I don't ever shop by brand name myself, because that's a pointless endeavour. I shop by specs and warranty. I've bought IBM, Acer, Asus, Lenovo, and Gateway in the past. Of the five, I'd suggest the best support comes from Acer...although that's partly because I live 10 minutes from their warranty depot. Mind you, the specs tend to trump other things.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    In the classes I will be needing to use photoshop, and illustrator, and I am going to be coding websites from scratch with html, html5, css, and css3, using wordpress as well. I would need it by August at the latest, I live in Vancouver British Columbia, and I just want the best value for my money, although aesthetically pleasing would be a bonus

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    For 1000 you could build yourself a nice decent custom pc that would be more power than you need. Is that something you would be interested in? Game is right on about the branding. The name means nothing just look at the specs. Honestly though the programs you are going to be using could work on MOST newer laptops and desktops. The problems you eill have will be with PS and Ai cause most coding software is just fancy text editors. Just avoid software like Dreamweaver and you will be fine on that side.

Im more of a mac kinda guy but i just started working on building a gaming pc, gunna be around $1300 and that would be way more than you would need

Member #
    Yes I would definitely be interested in that, do you have any suggestions for a good $1000 comp build? I'm not very familiar with what i would need.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislawson1996 View Post
    Yes I would definitely be interested in that, do you have any suggestions for a good $1000 comp build? I'm not very familiar with what i would need.
    Honestly im not the best person to ask this. Like i said i am a Mac guy im kinda learning as i build it.

What i did was start at the motherboard, then looked at the cpu, then the graphics card these were the three biggest decisions for me and i just read tons of reviews!

You will want 8-16gb of RAM, and if you really want it running smooth i chose an SSD, or a Solid Slate Drive. Thats a hard drive.

Ill admit i also got tons of help from friends! Hopefully someone here can do that for you.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    One thing about an SSD most people don't know about...they're faster, but less stable. They're basically flash keys that you stick into your laptop or desktop, and they're not as reliable as an SATA hard drive as a result. Use one, but be prepared from a backup standpoint for it to fail. You should be prepared anyway, but this is where something like Dropbox or Google Drive becomes extra critical and well worth the $100/year investment.

As Vapr_Arts said, you'll want about 8-16 GB RAM. The graphics card will be important as well...if you can, and I really don't know how feasible this is for laptops, avoid an integrated graphics card because you'll want something that ideally has its own RAM. If you have to get a better graphics card at the expense of say a CPU or extra hard drive space, you'll probably want to do it.

You may also want to look at the manufacturers' sites themselves e.g. dell.ca. There are often deals that the stores don't have on them.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads