Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Should I go with a website builder?

Member #

Should I go with a website builder?

Hi everyone, I am having a really tough time on the route to go on how to set up my website for our family business.

To start the business that I own does Tax Preparation, Credit Repair Services , Immigration Services and many more that we are still implementing.

We have been referred to people who can build some really nice website using website builders and are charging $300 to set up the website through Goddady s website builder. I find it to be a rip off as they are just using a website builder to create the website and I could probably do it myself if I tried which I haven't because I cannot find the time right now.

Is anyone able to give me any suggestions please.

Also I then would need to look into the graphic material of the website.

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    So much depends on just what you want. Are you simply looking for a template or do you want someone to write the content as well? It actually sounds like you have the idea of a generic site covering several different niches. It is not easy to organize a site covering so many different areas.

I don't personally recommend GoDaddy for anything - you can find better and most have site design programs with templates available. You might do better contracting a good developer and a good designer but it would be a lot more expensive. There are a few here but you would need to discuss your budget with them before they could actually recommend anything. If $300.00 is all you can afford someone here could probably set up a template for you on a better hosting system, possibly for a bit less money, but who is going to write the content?

With your present idea you will need a lot of pages and they need to be of excellent quality. Really good content writers are not cheap either.
    Last edited by delstu; May 24th, 2015 at 03:49 AM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu View Post
    So much depends on just what you want. Are you simply looking for a template or do you want someone to write the content as well? It actually sounds like you have the idea of a generic site covering several different niches. It is not easy to organize a site covering so many different areas.

I don't personally recommend GoDaddy for anything - you can find better and most have site design programs with templates available. You might do better contracting a good developer and a good designer but it would be a lot more expensive. There are a few here but you would need to discuss your budget with them before they could actually recommend anything. If $300.00 is all you can afford someone here could probably set up a template for you on a better hosting system, possibly for a bit less money, but who is going to write the content?

With your present idea you will need a lot of pages and they need to be of excellent quality. Really good content writers are not cheap either.
    We have two office locations already. It's just the purpose of what our website will serve for. For Tax Preparations I do not think we will need anything special implemented just basic information because what else can we do with taxes online?

For the credit repair is the only side of the business that is going to need something such as an acceptance of form of payment which can be pretty basic set up as we use authorize.net.

The immigration services is really only going to be informational also.

I am thinking of maybe I should just build it on my own and hire a Web designer for a small price? Would that be the way to go? As I have some basic knowledge of Web development.

Is Goddady a good hosting site for that purpose only?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you have basic knowledge of web development, you shouldn't even think about doing an Authorize.net payment form for credit repair unless you're going to use the Server Integration Method (SIM). They'll host the payment pages for you and save you a ton of hassle as far as Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance. I've said this a thousand times on here...e-commerce is an advanced concept and you need experience and skill.

To be honest with you, I don't think you really grasp the concept of value here. I'm not a fan of "website builders" in general, but whether or not $300 is a "rip off" for using one...even GoDaddy's...has little or nothing to do with the builder. What it has to do with is the setup of the service, the initial layout, any adjustments you'll want to make to it, the initial population of content, and teaching you how to use it so that ideally you don't have to bother the designer and pay him/her again for a very long time to come. If those things combined add up to more than $300 in value, then it's worth it. I'm a developer and not a designer, and I do see a lot of cases where designers rip people off...this doesn't even sound close to one of those cases to me.

The other reason I say you don't understand the concept of value relates to your content. First of all, "basic information" will do you absolutely no good. "Basic information" usually equates to "I saw what my competitors did and I pretty much took it and reworded it just enough so that it sounds good." If you can't describe how you're different than others in an industry, you're in the wrong industry, full stop. It doesn't matter how interesting or boring the industry is, either; if you don't have a unique selling proposition i.e. the value you provide potentially to your customers, eject from the cockpit and deploy your parachute before you crash the plane.

I also don't see how your three chosen industries are related. Granted, I'm not American (I'm Canadian), but these seem odd. Outside of a paralegal, I can't think of anyone involved in those three industries...and I sincerely hope you're not a paralegal.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Hosting, for what you are describing, it just doesn't matter. GoDaddy will work as well as any.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I build, maintain and host website exclusively for small businesses. I had a brick and mortar quilt shop for 7 years and couldn't find anyone who would do a website for me for under $1,000. That was my entire marketing budget for at least 2 years! So I took a few classes and learned along the way. When I closed the store I saw the opportunity to work with small businesses who needed a website and started my design/maintenance/hosting business. I have heard stories like yours many times.

I have client's who register their domain names with GoDaddy but all my websites are hosted through my Designer Platform at Weebly.

Member #
    Why don't you try those free website builder first? Then, see how you like it.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    It is by far better to hire someone who knows what they are doing rather than taking on such a headache yourself. I get political candidates all the time and every so often, one decides to do it on their own and a few months later they always tell me "I should have hired you, it was a pain doing it on my own and what I did was not sufficient enough besides not having the time to do so" Not to mention I am not to keen on the idea of web builders, I don't trust the coding aspect of it among other things.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Member #
    We have several websites hosted by GoDaddy. Customer service by phone is good and prices are reasonable.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i will suggest you to use website building tools to create your own website as these provide interface for everything and are very easy to use. if u will ask any developer than definitely they will charge a big amount.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads