Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: Client-wrangling: "self-maintaining" - where to draw the line

Member #

Client-wrangling: "self-maintaining" - where to draw the line

So lets say you're building a clients site on Wordpress or some other platform that has decent tools for the client to update their blog, add new staff members on the About Us page, etc.

And the client is all excited about that, wants to maintain their site (which is awesome, b/c I don't actually want to be their webmaster)...but they're beginning to ask if I can show them how to update images like their giant homepage images, which serve as a background, so they need to be large and have a gradient across part of it to make sure the nav buttons pop. And file format is a consideration...basically, not something they should plan on updating. And I promise these are not the kind of images that *need* updating that often to stay relevant.

Yes, I could train the client on ALL of it...but it doesn't make sense unless they want a career pivot. How do you politely draw that line of "yes I could show you how, but it's pointless"? To them an image is an image.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    If the site is built technically your job is done. Once you are paid and the contract is complete you are not obligated to do anything.

With that said if i were to give my client a WP theme or any related setup id show them how to do as much as possible upon delivery. If they wanted a fully self manageable site then thats what I'm going to do. If they screw something up thats on them but ill be gladly willing to fix it for a fee..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aubrey likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I draw the line whenever I can't do something. Other than that, there isn't one.

Personally, I would side with the client here. You promised the client that the client could maintain their site. The home page images are part of the site. Your job is to try and get them as close as possible to doing things themselves. If they're asking you to update home page images now, then they'll want to update them at least semi-frequently. Whether they *need* to or not really doesn't matter, and it really isn't your call anyway. It's their site. It's their call. If they want to put a pink elephant on the site, it's theirs to do so.

I don't know why file format is a consideration and that they can't edit the images themselves, either...tell them what they'd need to acquire (a copy of Photoshop or whatever) and give them the layered images associated with the backgrounds. Chances are they're going to be JPGs or PNGs if a gradient is involved, so this really shouldn't be an issue.
    Aubrey likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you both.

The site isn't built yet. We agreed they would do certain tasks like staff members, new products, and that was fine.

My concern is they then decided they liked some sites like Albertini - where you can see very obviously the background image needs to be carefully chosen/cropped, or a gradient applied across part of it (as they have not) so those 3 big buttons pop. - which Albertini didn't do, as you can see. Half the time you can't even seen what the text says.

My clients are not even comfortable resizing or cropping images. Using *any* image app will be a new experience (even something as small as MS Paint or Mac's Preview). They have no idea why a 121MB file might not be optimal (and why a png might be smaller than that whopping jpg). They're already going to be learning a lot to maintain the basics.

Agreed that you need to deliver what's promised, which is why I'm being cautious about promising, because long-term satisfaction is important too. They know how to do so little that promising them they can do more advanced maneuvers seems like it will end unhappily.

Can you build us a website and teach us how to re-build it?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Explain to them how to do it. When things start going wrong they will come back to you for more work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aubrey likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I put in my Contract where my services end and the hourly maintaining/training fee begins. If you give them an estimate on the amount of time/cash it will take to teach them about the task they want to learn they can decide whether to hire you for that job or not.

Remove Ads