Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andyb1080

Thread: Advice/help on a new Idea!?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Advice/help on a new Idea!?

Dear fellow Developers,

I have had an idea for a website that I have shared with close friends, family and have been told that it has huge potential to become something BIG! ..
    Now for my own reasons, and not to sound stupid, i dont want to share this idea as of yet, so I apologise.

I am currently in college and am studying software development and in my time have learnt how to put together a website and add basic features like linking to other pages or performing PHP functions and so on.
    We used notepad ++.

Now what I wanted to ask, seeing as I haven't actually undertaken a task like what i want to, is how to go about completing some of my ideas. I know how to create the pages and my designs, but here are my dilemmas:

1. I want to host a site where another person(s) can access their own content for their own page on the site and make changes, add text/pictures. Sort of like admin privileges with their own profile, but not for a regular view to make an account.
    2: I want to host a site where people can rate places (1 out of 5 stars).
    3: I want to give people the ability to add feedback on their experience of a certain place, on someones profile page, and then add that in like a list with a rating as well.
    4: I also want viewers to be able to search the website for a specific genre, or place, and then to display search results, ready to be clicked into.
    5: I want a profile system where someone can have a small bio, their name displayed and then maybe a photo gallery within that profile if they wish to upload.
    6: probably will need a login system as well.

Any ideas guys? As i said I know how to make a basic site, I have done but that is in the process of getting online.
    I just feel slightly lost and not sure where to start with these features :/..
    so, can someone give me a brief description on how to go about these?

Thank you guys, sorry, i'm a new member so hope I have posted in right place..

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    The first thing you probably want to do is create the social network aspect of it. This is the profiles and the login/register features. There are tons of tutorials online and its not something we can efficiently explain here.

Being that there are tons of social networks you need to figure out what makes your site different from sites already popular. Not really knowing what that is and not wanting you to spill your ideas out in public i cant really say what to do there.

Take it one step at a time. Your site doesn't have to roll out with every feature already implemented. Honestly i'd recommend against it that way you do not waste time in case this isn't as "BIG" as people assume. Especially friends and family. They aren't the best to get advice like this from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok, Vapr, Ill find out how to do that and im sure i will be able to tweak things and create something different !

Yes, i can see how that makes things slightly harder .. (sorry!)

Very true. the aim of this project is like a stepping stone and also an experience to further my knowledge and skills and if it fails, (hopefully not) then at least I can say I tried!
    Would you advise using notepad ++ or another program?
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyb1080 View Post
    Ok, Vapr, Ill find out how to do that and im sure i will be able to tweak things and create something different !

Yes, i can see how that makes things slightly harder .. (sorry!)

Very true. the aim of this project is like a stepping stone and also an experience to further my knowledge and skills and if it fails, (hopefully not) then at least I can say I tried!
    Would you advise using notepad ++ or another program?
    Notepad++ will work just as well as any other IDE/TextEditor. I personally use Brackets(Adobe Edge Code) but that gives me no benefits over using Sublime or Notepad++. Used all 3 just always end up opening brackets.

If i can find it Ill link you to the tutorial i used to learn about making a social networking site but that was around 1yr ago.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Normally, I'd tell you not to bother with your idea. Every so often, we see a thread on here posted by someone who has a REALLY BIG SUPER AWESOME IDEA and normally I tell them straight up that the idea will fail, followed by a link to the Oatmeal comic about emails Matthew Inman hates to see.

Key word there: normally. Your approach is different for two reasons:

1) You're not asking for "partners" or people to "invest" in your idea or "I can't pay you very much upfront, but I'll give you millions when we have our IPO in about 3 months." You're doing it yourself, or at least willing to.

2) You're willing to fail and treat it as a learning experience. That means you win regardless of the outcome. I like that.

With that said, Vapr_Arts is right. The reason you're having a hard time starting is because what you're talking about is beyond the scope of any forum or website. What you'll need to/want to do is break down your task list into smaller tasks and approach each group of smaller tasks one at a time. For example, the rating of places would break down something like this:

1) Build registration form.
    2) Build email confirmation.
    3) Build login form.
    4) Build forgotten password form.
    5) Build rating form.
    6) Build admin to add/delete/edit registrations.
    7) Build admin to add/edit/delete ratings (people will do stupid things when you ask them to rate something...trust me on this, because you can't possibly understand the statement until you build a site that relies on ratings and you see the stupid things they do).

Once you approach things like that, they become much easier to figure out.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Normally, I'd tell you not to bother with your idea. Every so often, we see a thread on here posted by someone who has a REALLY BIG SUPER AWESOME IDEA and normally I tell them straight up that the idea will fail, followed by a link to the Oatmeal comic about emails Matthew Inman hates to see.

Key word there: normally. Your approach is different for two reasons:

1) You're not asking for "partners" or people to "invest" in your idea or "I can't pay you very much upfront, but I'll give you millions when we have our IPO in about 3 months." You're doing it yourself, or at least willing to.

2) You're willing to fail and treat it as a learning experience. That means you win regardless of the outcome. I like that.

With that said, Vapr_Arts is right. The reason you're having a hard time starting is because what you're talking about is beyond the scope of any forum or website. What you'll need to/want to do is break down your task list into smaller tasks and approach each group of smaller tasks one at a time. For example, the rating of places would break down something like this:

1) Build registration form.
    2) Build email confirmation.
    3) Build login form.
    4) Build forgotten password form.
    5) Build rating form.
    6) Build admin to add/delete/edit registrations.
    7) Build admin to add/edit/delete ratings (people will do stupid things when you ask them to rate something...trust me on this, because you can't possibly understand the statement until you build a site that relies on ratings and you see the stupid things they do).

Once you approach things like that, they become much easier to figure out.
    Thank you game I am not one to fall and to think a task to is too big for me. For something like this, because as I said I haven't done something like this before, I just need a point in the right direction, and i feel as though I have been. I will learn how to do the things you mentioned, have a look at vapr's idea, and then hopefully, with in the not-to-distant-future, be able to show you all my creation (criticism welcome - praise even better ).
    I am also planning to incorporate a phone app to go with the site. So.. hopefully.. things go well in the beginning!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyb1080 View Post
    Thank you game I am not one to fall and to think a task to is too big for me. For something like this, because as I said I haven't done something like this before, I just need a point in the right direction, and i feel as though I have been. I will learn how to do the things you mentioned, have a look at vapr's idea, and then hopefully, with in the not-to-distant-future, be able to show you all my creation (criticism welcome - praise even better ).
    I am also planning to incorporate a phone app to go with the site. So.. hopefully.. things go well in the beginning!
    Considering what you're studying it may not be an issue for you but id work on one task at a time. Website or app. Try n keep your tasks as simple as possible and don't force more work onto yourself. If you created a responsive website that could be viewed on a mobile phone then the app could be set back until the whole site is finished. Thats just personally how id work it.

Ask as much as possible on here and you will get help. It may not be a step by step method but someone will always point you into the right direction. If you can handle constructive criticism then you will do just fine here. You may not always like the answer you receive but most its just because we try to keep it as honest as possible here.

Remove Ads