Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Soulseek, eMule (and it's 100s of clones), Limewire, and torrenting to name a few... when Napster got shot down, thousands errupted.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Originally posted by Brak
    So, the big bad RIAA screams about copyright infringements etc... but I have a question. Is it illegal to download music for which you have purchased the CD? I know it's legal to D/L ripped PS games if you own them (and the PS of course), and would assume the same would go for movies/mp3's. Anyone know for sure?
    mossoi's link had much truth in it. If you are downloading an exacpt digital copy of something you already own, then there's no difference between that and you making the digital copy yourself. To back this up, just look at computer forensics. If digital copies of recovered evidence are regularly used in court as being valid, then this is all the support one needs for this line of defense. This is basically saying that the United States legal system has already validated it.

Originally posted by mossoi
    I believe it is illegal to copy any music CD, even for personal use. Correct me if I'm wrong but even recording something from the TV is illegal if the recorded program is kept for more than a certain period of time. The other issue is that if you have bought a CD and then download a track, if it's a different version of the same track, even only nominally, then thoeretically you have two separate products, one legal, the other not.
    First of all, great link man! In terms of the legality of copying stuff from the TV, that's an odd thing. It goes back to the Betamax ruling of the early 80's (I think that's the timeframe anyway). It deals with that when the Betamax system first came out (old school VCR for you teenagers), the TV stations and the MPAA and the like were going bonkers because there was suddenly this way to tape TV shows, and (sorta) edit out commercials. FYI, this is being brought up again also because of the P/DVRs (Personal/Digital Video Recorders) that are becoming popular. If it's for personal use, it's ok. Editing out commercials is the part that I'm not so sure about. I know lots of people got pissy when Tivo first came out with the option to remove commercials because of this. It gets even more confusing when you look at P2P and the fact that lots of shows are digitally recorded by fans, carefully edited, and then uploaded to the internet sans commercials. Personally, I've never heard of anyone getting busted for this, and because of the previous cases, I'd say we're all safe for the time being.

Right now, the MPAA is following the RIAA's footsteps by airing anti-pirating commercials, but in a good way. They're showing you the people who really get hurt from this, namely the crews of movies. While there have been articles talking about the songwriters, etc. who get hurt from musical piracy, it hasn't seen that much light.

Originally posted by Brak
    CD sales are down because they're a dying media.
    Originally posted by Cheddah
    If someone takes a huge look into this, they would probaly find out the 4% is loosing money due to "downloaders." ... The reason why Kazaa slumped in traffic due to that fact that RIAA are monitering Kazaa users and personally sueing them. The 2nd is that there are more programs booming on the underground world better then Kazaa.
    While it is true that CD sales are slumping, the preceding reasons are only partial reasons. Yes, CDs are dying as a media, but as the great ones would say, "I'm not quite dead yet, In fact I feel much better!" There are multiple reasons to this. P2P file sharing plays for and against this argument, as pointed out in previous posts in this thread. Less CDs are bought of course since they can download them. Some mey not buy them because they downloaded the CD and found out that it SUCKED! I know I have. Many others including myself have also done the reverse, and downloaded a good song, found more songs from the artise that aren't usually played on the radio, and have gone out and bought the CD! Don't forget that the economy is also in a slump as well, and that piracy has been around for ages. In Asia, it is a HUGE thing there.

Kazaa traffic probably did slump due to the lawsuits. Some people were intimidated by it, and for good reasoning. But this, as everything, will pass.

Digital music is also creating markets as well. Take a look at Apple for instance. They're doing great with iTunes and the iPod. Now here's a bit of trivia for you. A part of the proceeds of every blank CD you buy goes to the record labels! They set that up long ago, because they damn well knew that people were going to burn CDs. They saw this in the 80's with tape casettes.

Finally, check this article out over at Neowin.net:
    At last, what we've wanted for so long, a reasonable record company, that we donít hate. Based on the following "pillars", this really could be the future structure of the music industry.
    • We call it "try before you buy." It's the shareware model applied to music.
    • Listen to hundreds of MP3'd albums from our artists. Or try our genre-based radio stations.
    • If you like what you hear, buy our music online for as little as $5 an album or license our music for commercial use.
    • Artists get a full 50% of the purchase price. And unlike most record labels, our artists keep their rights to their music.
    • Founded by musicians, for musicians.
    • No major label connections.
    • We are not evil.
    http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?i...&category=main
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Oh yeah, www.magnatune.com is the above record company's site. Thy have shoutcast servers of the music on their label, which I think is awesome. We get to listen to the music, sans commercials, and it's all of their music, not just the best tracks. The label knows that we can't save the music, so both parties get the best of both worlds. No license fees for the internet radio, as it's their music, and we get some free kickass tunes!

Still love D I G I T A L L Y - I M P O R T E D though
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Wired - VIVA LA DI'S!!!!!!!

Wow thats beutiful of what the new stuff they doing, it's so great I'm surprised people came out of thier ignorant asses and came with a good *** idea...

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Originally posted by Cheddah
    Wired - VIVA LA DI'S!!!!!!!
    What did that mean???

BTW, check out the latest issue of Wired magazine for a LOT more on this subject, just picked the isue up today. BTW, no relation to the magazine, got the nick for coca-cola related reasons
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    In my opinion, it's all about the WORD of the law, not the LETTER. If you buy the CD, you are not stealing by duplicating a track for your own use. Any judge would look at it the same way in a suit against an individual. Just keep your receipts in case you get sued!!

That said, if you bought the CD, why on earth would you download the tracks?! You can make a much higher quality repro directly from the CD !!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Originally posted by transio
    That said, if you bought the CD, why on earth would you download the tracks?! You can make a much higher quality repro directly from the CD !!
    Simple. A lot of people just don't know how to do it, especially when it comes to high quality rips of 33s and 45s, etc.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I do rip most of mine.. all at 320, but some CD's are a pain in the arse to name when they don't have any listing in the CDDB, and downloading is easier/faster for me Not to mention, I can download tracks and do other things, but if I'm ripping a CD, my computer is basically useless while it does this.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads