Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    So, the big bad RIAA screams about copyright infringements etc... but I have a question. Is it illegal to download music for which you have purchased the CD? I know it's legal to D/L ripped PS games if you own them (and the PS of course), and would assume the same would go for movies/mp3's. Anyone know for sure?
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I believe it is illegal to copy any music CD, even for personal use.

Correct me if I'm wrong but even recording something from the TV is illegal if the recorded program is kept for more than a certain period of time.

The other issue is that if you have bought a CD and then download a track, if it's a different version of the same track, even only nominally, then thoeretically you have two separate products, one legal, the other not.

Member #
    Well...all I have to say, RIAA Can Go To Hell....the more they put preasure on this the more people will retiliate. No matter what way someone will be gettting the latest musics, movies, and etc.

The true illegal people of the internet are all about free stuff. Thats why hackers call themselves Freedom Fighters. To make what they fight for free. Now for the people do it for thier own use and love, then they are just lame (Ex: a hacker attacks a non-govermental/corp employee person because of a personal fight = LAME)

Give more light to the subject and more people will come. Illegal and legal, no matter which way, there would be strong people on each side but there will be not defeats or victories.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    mossoi, I can gaurentee you copying them for personal use is 100% legal. You can do the same with software, videos, etc.

I personally copy ALL of my music onto my machien because:
    a) I suck *** with CD's, I'll ruin them.
    b) It's 500x more convinient

Thats the RIAA's problem, they don't realize that mp3's are more compact, (mp3 players can be smaller than your pinky), can fit more on the same media (600min vs 80min on a regular CD), are more durable (no scratching, etc) and can be transported easier than any other media on the market today. The RIAA may scream this BS about sales being down, when a survey reported 30% of downloaders have started buying more CD's than they did before they downloaded music. CD sales are down because they're a dying media. The record companies give artists as little as 3 cents per record sale, while it costs them a few dollars to produce and ship the cd, and mark it up to $15 on the shelf. This is bull.

Anyone know the answer to my original question though?

Member #
    What a gread explanation you have Brak on why to put your CD's onto your computer.

Let me add to the explaination why the media is low. Companies are overflowing and ripping artists for their moeny. DMX is quitting the rapping bussiness ( DMX - "It ain't the same, theres no money left for the rapper in the end") Most rappers in Def Jam are leaving due to the company taking all their money for little stuff that can be easily made. It's just ignorance mannn, During Hitler, how he blamed the Jews for loosing the war. RIAA blaming "downlaoders" for their loosing streak in thier media, aint "downloaders" fault they overpricing their own artist. If someone takes a huge look into this, they would probaly find out the 4% is loosing money due to "downloaders."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Not sure I agree - the more pressure put on people by RIAA the more casual downloaders will stop doing it. Kazaa's slump in traffic since everything started shows that.

This isn't a freedom fight of those who are right but repressed, it's a case of people not wanting to pay full price for music and stealing it instead.

While I'm not on the side of RIAA at the end of the day it is stealing and if people want to change to price of music then they must speak by not buying the music at all. this isn't like a government taking away a human right, it's about a luxury item that nobody has any inherent right to own.

I think the fact that downloading a file doesn't feel like stealing makes people feel more justified in doing it. If, instead of copying a CD, you went to the record store and shoplifted a second copy, there would be far fewer people crying injustice at RIAA and a few more saying that stealing is wrong. Many people will defend there actions with the old "they are a massive company with loads of money so it doesn't affect them" argument, but at the end of the day it is the smaller record shops that suffer most through lost sales.

Sadly I think that activism has given way to apathy over the past 20 odd years. If somebody stands up and shouts "to arms brothers let us overthrow this evil government/dictatorship/fast food restaurant" results in a response of "Meh! I'm busy at the moment."

For this I blame "youth" TV, it has changed the will of youth to change society into a marginalised fashion. MTV et al tell us what is right and wrong and how to fight against it - usually by telling us to watch a certain program, drink a certain drink and think a certain bad boy celebrity (for a week)is bringing society to its knees.

Who was our last great freedom fighter (in the western world)?

Oops - Started Typing this just after Cheddah's first post but took too long. Hmm, Brak, that's fair enough if copying for your personal use is legal but the gist of my argument still stands.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    In answer to you question Brak, it is legal. Check this site out: http://www2.gvsu.edu/~pontiusd/morals.html

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Perhaps mossi, but let me remind you of Prohibition in the US. Outlawing alcohol created more underage drinking, more drinking in general. There was more alcohol and bars during prohibition than there ever was when alcohol was legal. The same argument is for marijuana right now. Most people wouldn't think about lighting up a cigarette, but would gladly light up a joint. It's kind of the bad-boy mentality.

And while your'e right about it stopping casual downloaders, this would not by any means make these people go to a sotre and purchase the music. If anything it would make them more close-minded and just not listen to the music in the first place.

Basically, my standpoint is I will always support the artists, and I've heard more artists bash the record companies than anyone else. They HATE them, it's a horrible, horrible business that's been founded on the circumstances that it's "the only way" to get your music out there. Artists have been conned by record companies for decades, and quite frankly they deserve what they're getting. Maybe if these recent lawsuits let the artists (the ones they're claiming they're stealing from) get some of the settlement from them I might have the smallest amount of sympathy for them.

When I buy a $50 concert ticket to go see O.A.R. I will have effectively given them royalties for a little more than 650 CD's. (Assuming artist gets 20/50). THAT'S where I think it's rediculous.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Absolutely. The artists need to get together and use the union to boycott the record companies like the actors union did recently - if the record companies have nothing to sell they may start to listen.

The big fly in that ointment though, is that too many stars are entirely manufactured and can be readily replaced. In which case the cause of the problem comes back to the public who need to be mroe discerning in what they want out of music. Sadly that's a long way away at the moment and as our collective tasts become increasingly homogenised the artist can only suffer.

Member #
    Let me speak once again =P

The reason why Kazaa slumped in traffic due to that fact that RIAA are monitering Kazaa users and personally sueing them. The 2nd is that there are more programs booming on the underground world better then Kazaa.

Best programs I've seen on the underground.
    DC++ (better upgraded version of the original Neo Modus DC)
    Hotline Server/User (Nice program, downloads at fast speed)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads