Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By breno
  • 1 Post By timbo89

Thread: Why are people so lazy as this?

Member #
    Liked
    292 times

Why are people so lazy as this?

It seems like more and more people are desperate to build an online business even if they are not qualified. I don't know if this one is qualified or not as I haven't even looked at his website as yet. It is just a very poor way to promote in my opinion - seems amateurish.

What does he know about me? Only what he found on the Who-Is page obviously. If I were going to solicit business by email (not likely), I would want a lot more information to determine if it would be worth my time. No one is willing to spend the time to do the research which should be done before contacting a possible prospect.

I disabled the link for this post, but I may look at his site just out of curiosity.

"You recently purchased a DOTcom-domainname. I’m Doug with BlueTone Media, a web design and online marketing company and I was curious if you were looking to have a site built for the domain? I just wanted to let you know we help people who aren’t comfortable building sites themselves or want to take things to the next level. And after a site’s live, we can do things like SEO and AdWords campaigns, and also offer phenomenal support if you ever need a hand.

Please don’t hesitate to get back to me if you’re interested. You can also check out our portfolio to see what we’re capable of Our Portfolio Showcases Beautiful Websites Designed By Professionals

Thanks!
    -Doug
    Oh, and this is just a one time email, so don’t worry about me flooding your inbox - if you’re not interested or you’re good, I won’t bother you again!"
    Last edited by delstu; Sep 06th, 2015 at 09:25 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I have a take on this. Most people who know me on here would probably be able to predict it. But I'm not going to divulge until Doug at BlueTone Media has a chance to defend himself.

So Stu, if you know the link, please feel free to share it. That way, others can visit it and we can give Doug the chance to defend himself.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Here you go Adam.
    BlueTone Media | Wilmington NC Web Design & SEO

I deleted the email but it is easy enough to find. I wonder what Doug's opinion is on this type of promotion. Is he a member? I'm not questioning the website, just the method of promotion.
    Last edited by delstu; Sep 06th, 2015 at 09:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu View Post
    Here you go Adam.
    BlueTone Media | Wilmington NC Web Design & SEO

I deleted the email but it is easy enough to find. I wonder what Doug's opinion is on this type of promotion. Is he a member? I'm not questioning the website, just the method of promotion.
    I've registered two domain names thus far and both times I've received emails such as this and less than satisfactory phone calls from canvassers asking if I want a site built. I thought it was a common thing if you don't choose the privacy options when registering domain? I had to eventually change the phone number I registered with to stop the phone calls.
    timbo89 and delstu like this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by breno View Post
    I've registered two domain names thus far and both times I've received emails such as this and less than satisfactory phone calls from canvassers asking if I want a site built. I thought it was a common thing if you don't choose the privacy options when registering domain? I had to eventually change the phone number I registered with to stop the phone calls.
    I had that problem when setting up the Coyote Creek Artisty site and North East Counselling.
    The problem wasn't the website whois data though, it was from the yellow pages and local directory entries i put up for the pages.

I do often wonder how many sales they get out of spam campaigns like this.
    delstu likes this.
    Self-taught web designer. LinkedIn

Recent Websites:
    Coyote Creek Artistry, North East Counselling, Creswick Motel
    Feedback is always welcome

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Yes, spammers are too lazy to do any real work. When they send this type of email, they are essentially applying for employment, even if it is freelance. As a long-time business person, I don't even consider anyone like this. If you don't know how to apply for employment why should I consider hiring you for a position that is basically a management level position.

Normally, if you apply for a position like this you know a lot about the business and its management personnel, but these people make no attempt to find it. There are other things missing as well.
    Last edited by delstu; Sep 13th, 2015 at 10:51 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I've never received the emails, but I do get calls from a firm in California...every.damn.time. The last one I did was a new domain for my own site. I had the site ready, so I set it up, worked all of the 301 redirects and launched the same day I bought the domain. Naturally, the call came in a couple days later. I asked the girl if she had even looked at the site before she called. I told her if she had, she'd have noticed that I'm not the kind of person would require such services. She went very quiet, and stuttered out "I'm sorry to have bothered you, sir". I felt like dick after that, mostly because I could tell it wasn't on her and she was just doing her job.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, here's my take....and for once, I'm actually going to start out with a positive. The company itself has some design skill. They do some very nice-looking stuff.

But, like most companies who do some very nice-looking stuff, they have absolutely no idea how to market themselves and do what most small firms do...they market exactly as everyone else markets. They stick the tacky designer credit hyperlink on the footer of their clients' sites (which is wrong no matter how anyone tries to rationalize it). They spammed Stu. They apparently hired Tarzan to write horrible "SEO copy" for their clients. Basically, their entire image is based on "prevailing winds", which is both unoriginal and mind-numbingly stupid.

A company that knows how to market shouldn't need to do the things these guys are doing, full stop.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads