Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By breno

Thread: Is a Chromebook worth anything?

Member #

Is a Chromebook worth anything?

I was about to go out and buy myself a Chromebook earlier today. Then I stopped to assess the situation.

A Chromebook usually boasts 2GB of RAM and a rather low end processor. (As well as the small screen that is featured on most Chromebook models.) It's main functionality is for web based applications, surfing, and streaming. Why would someone buy a Chromebook for $150-$300 instead of buying a used laptop off Amazon/Ebay for $100 with more RAM, a better processor and a larger screen? You could only install Chrome and do the same things with more power, no?

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    I ask the same question about Macs
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Hey!
    I was considering a Mac a while ago... and then i looked at the price, i'll just be building another windows machine for my next PC :P
    Self-taught web designer. LinkedIn

Recent Websites:
    Coyote Creek Artistry, North East Counselling, Creswick Motel
    Feedback is always welcome

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    The benefit of the chromebook is that it runs Chrome OS, so it won't be running extra windows services in the background and chewing up system resources, and Chrome OS is made specifically to run on a Chromebook... so it might be less powerful, but it will be able to use all of it's power.

If you were going to buy a used laptop for web based apps, i'd install Ubuntu on it, it's free and it will run a lot better than windows (most of the time)
    Self-taught web designer. LinkedIn

Recent Websites:
    Coyote Creek Artistry, North East Counselling, Creswick Motel
    Feedback is always welcome

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hudwol View Post
    I was about to go out and buy myself a Chromebook earlier today. Then I stopped to assess the situation.

A Chromebook usually boasts 2GB of RAM and a rather low end processor. (As well as the small screen that is featured on most Chromebook models.) It's main functionality is for web based applications, surfing, and streaming. Why would someone buy a Chromebook for $150-$300 instead of buying a used laptop off Amazon/Ebay for $100 with more RAM, a better processor and a larger screen? You could only install Chrome and do the same things with more power, no?
    Rule #1 of value...it's relative to the evaluator and the circumstances of the evaluation. Personally, a Chromebook holds no value to me and I prefer my Windows 10 laptop, so I wouldn't get one. Then again, I primarily develop using Windows technologies and I don't use my laptop THAT much.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads