Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Is this legal?

Member #

Lightbulb Is this legal?

I have started creating logos and printing them on shirts for my clothing line Slug Life and was wondering if these two logos would be legal. I modified both these images that i got from google image and used the search filter for reuse and for reuse with modifactions would it be legal to print and sell t shirts with these logos on them? I figured since some of our tax money goes to funding NASA that technically we already pay for it and therefore it would be legal but I want to know for sure. Thanks, Jacob!SLnasa.jpgSlugnuat.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Mostly, no.

"This general permission does not extend to use of the NASA insignia logo (the blue "meatball" insignia), the retired NASA logotype (the red "worm" logo) and the NASA seal. These images may not be used by persons who are not NASA employees or on products (including Web pages) that are not NASA-sponsored."

Media Usage Guidelines | NASA

"NASA does not permit use of the insignia and other NASA indicia in advertisements. Any use of the NASA identity on spacesuits or spacecraft is generally not permitted unless authorized by the Office of Communications at NASA Headquarters in Washington."

NASA Regulations for Advertising Requests | NASA

"Strict legal regulations govern NASA policy regarding merchandising requests. Companies interested in producing NASA-related merchandise must notify NASA's Multimedia Division in writing by sending e-mail to Bert Ulrich (bert.ulrich@nasa.gov). Requests should describe the intended use of NASA imagery on the product. If possible, layouts or sketches of the product should be included. When all legal requirements have been met, NASA will send the merchandiser an approval letter"

NASA Regulations for Merchandising Requests | NASA

However images (like photos of planets) that NASA takes, you are correct: "NASA still images, audio files, video, and computer files used in the rendition of 3-dimensional models, such as texture maps and polygon data in any format, generally are not copyrighted. "

"Fair Use" may cover satire, but for commercial use and modification, I really really don't think you'll be able to defend this as fair use, sorry!

Remove Ads