Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How do you figure out how much to charge clients for design/hosting?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

How do you figure out how much to charge clients for design/hosting?

I guess I don't have the business mindset as I usually "feel bad" when asking someone to pay for something even if it means a loss on my end.

I am not quite ready to be a full-fledged business offering services as I am a 1 year LAMP developer and have to touch up on topics such as ecommerce and RESTful services / mobile applications.

Anyway, I was almost scammed one day on craigslist regarding a web design job to make 33 pages at a cost ranging from $3,000.00 to $11,000.00 this seemed absurdly high seeing the comparison website. I checked an online web design cost-approximation tool which said that a 33 page would cost roughly $7,000.00 which seems ridiculously high to me, then again, I haven't timed myself in creating 33 pages for a new website.

So, how do you go about pricing web design and hosting? For the hosting aspect, I would be renting from a large company and placing the client's website on a shared server via virtual host.

I'd appreciate any input.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
    I guess I don't have the business mindset as I usually "feel bad" when asking someone to pay for something even if it means a loss on my end.

I am not quite ready to be a full-fledged business offering services as I am a 1 year LAMP developer and have to touch up on topics such as ecommerce and RESTful services / mobile applications.

Anyway, I was almost scammed one day on craigslist regarding a web design job to make 33 pages at a cost ranging from $3,000.00 to $11,000.00 this seemed absurdly high seeing the comparison website. I checked an online web design cost-approximation tool which said that a 33 page would cost roughly $7,000.00 which seems ridiculously high to me, then again, I haven't timed myself in creating 33 pages for a new website.

So, how do you go about pricing web design and hosting? For the hosting aspect, I would be renting from a large company and placing the client's website on a shared server via virtual host.

I'd appreciate any input.
    First off, its both unethical and illegal to discuss numbers. Not to mention completely unrealistic.

Pricing is extremely objective and depends on too many factors such as location, experience and so on. The advice I was given when I first started was determine what your time is worth to you. Your time may be worth $10/hr or $100/hr its really up to you. Granted you should consider competition, your overall understanding and knowledge/ or lack there of, and other things. I personally feel like the risk is you will charge less than you deserve rather than more. You have mentioned feeling bad? Well tell that to the bank when they take your stuff. Try to be fair to your client without being unfair or undervaluing yourself and your skills.

33 pages of what? Hell for 33 static html pages I'd charge a whole lot less than 20 pages that come from a massive database that I have to put together. Or from something that has a very extensive/complex backend. Stop counting pages like every page is equal, they are not. Some pages are extremely simple while others can be overly complex. Number of pages only begin to speak on the complexity of a site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    delstu likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for your input, I suppose I could start with "What is my current salary now and if I can replace my boring job with web developing and make the same amount, thereby not needing said boring job." That would be a good start which isn't much for me it's like $12/hr. I just don't know if that is too cheap. I suppose I will look at project prices from different vendors. I may go with freelancing too and try there first. Or get hired somewhere.

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Don't quit your day job! Look for a better one.

If you don't have a business mindset and cannot develop one, you are better off with a job. An employer pays expenses and also pays some of the fees which come out of your paycheck so $X as a freelancer is somewhat less than $X as an employee, often a lot less.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, the "price per page" model is ridiculously outdated and companies and individuals who sell website services based on this model ensure that their customers will not achieve any real success with their websites. The best websites have unique features that distinguish them from other sites, and dumping content on pages is simply insufficient, even if the content itself is unique.

Second, if you feel bad about asking someone to pay for something, you would never be able to work for anyone, anywhere, doing anything at all. That's what labo(u)r is...asking an employer to pay for something, in this case your skills. There's nothing whatsoever to feel bad about; the worst thing that happens is your prospective employer says no. Eventually, someone always says yes.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quick question: Is the "Unpaid WDF intern" a joke? Or is that a level thing that you achieve from number of posts? I wasn't sure no offense meant.

I like how you put it regarding someone will eventually say yes.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    My twisted sense of humo(u)r. I'm a mod, and I think you get that if you make 1000 posts. I set it ages ago, and to be totally honest I'm not sure.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Wait, so am I an Unpaid WDF intern? It doesn't show up on this app so I never noticed.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No, I made that up. You're a Senior Member.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    No, I made that up. You're a Senior Member.
    Oh I thought mine had said it and thats why he asked. Youre the intern

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads